The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 AM

swimmy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who's caught...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Hey Folx,
I was just curious if anybody out there has ever caught some of the rare/challenging coldwater species.

Let us know if you've ever caught:

Steelhead?

Bull Trout?

Wild Golden Trout?

Grayling?

Dolly Varden?

Taimen?

Marble Trout? (SE European)

Or any other rare/challenging ones I haven't mentioned
Earlier this year I swung up my first steelhead. I've caught 'em before on yarnies but this was my first fish on the swing. Got him on the Bogachiel in March.

Click the image to open in full size.

Got a decent Bull Trout on the Blackfoot last summer.

Decent Dolly on the Hoh Mar '12

I've caught Grayling out of the Big Hole and Golden Trout out of Golden Trout Lakes in the Hyalite Mtns. Still got some work to do on the rest of this list.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

I'm still missing a few on the list. Was glad to knock Grayling off on the Big Hole as I figured that saved a trip to Alaska. Actually Bull Trout is pretty high on my bucket list as of now. I know they are in the Blackfoot, Rock Creek, and Flathead rivers. Is Rock Creek probably the closet opportunity in South West MT? Not spot burning here as I prefer to find fish on my own but curious of any other rivers that have potential? I'm also aware of the spawning season and the sensitivity of the fish so I won't be making a dedicated trip till next spring.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I've caught steelhead, grayling, dolly varden, and whitefish (do they count as exotic?). Living in the NWT, I'm going to have to go after arctic char one of these days--a buddy and I want to go to the Tree River for char and monster dolly varden.

We were out fishing for whitefish yesterday. I didn't land any fish but had some taps and strikes. They can be finicky, treacherous swine and slow to take a fly.

Scott
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Todd,

You must be bored dude

The only person on the old thread who have posted in the past 5 years was Cliff. I had never seen the thread before because it faded out before I even found the forum.

When it originated the forum was owned by an individual and not by Fish & Fly LTD. Since the change of ownership we have gained over 44,000 registered members and many millions of visiting users every year. We have acquired more corporate and trade business sponsors than the old guard had ever dreamed of having.

We will continue to grow and to host the best of fly fishing information sharing and discussion on the net, of this I'm sure. In the process we will continue to mind the shop so that threads with non fly fishing content will be moderated as soon as they appear.

Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention, I'll move it to the 'Members Only' lodge threads.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;