The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   Who's caught...? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/191-whos-caught.html)

BigCliff 03-17-2005 02:49 PM

Who's caught...?

Hey Folx,
I was just curious if anybody out there has ever caught some of the rare/challenging coldwater species.

Let us know if you've ever caught:

Steelhead?

Bull Trout?

Wild Golden Trout?

Grayling?

Dolly Varden?

Taimen?

Marble Trout? (SE European)

Or any other rare/challenging ones I haven't mentioned

Chris Hewett 03-17-2005 05:52 PM

Re: Who's caught...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff
Hey Folx,

Let us know if you've ever caught:

Steelhead? yes

Bull Trout? yes

Wild Golden Trout? yes including some golden/rainbow hybrids that were quite a bit larger than the average golden.

Grayling? yes

Dolly Varden? yes

Taimen? No (not even sure what it is. I thought it was a lizard)

Marble Trout? (SE European) No.

Trouser Trout? No

fshfanatic 03-17-2005 05:56 PM

Steelhead? Yup

Bull Trout? Nope

Wild Golden Trout? Yup

Grayling? Yup

Dolly Varden? Nope

Taimen? Nope

Marble Trout? (SE European) Nope

BigCliff 03-17-2005 06:07 PM

Taimen are a massive salmonid species native to Mongolia and surrounding areas. They are known for eating rodents all the way up to the size of a ground hog.

http://www.angling-travel.com/pic/TaimMan6.JPG

Chris Hewett 03-17-2005 08:19 PM

How about lake trout?
Arctic Char?
I haven't heard too much about either one of these being caught on a fly.

BigCliff 03-18-2005 09:07 AM

I also haven't heard much about lakers being caught on a fly. From what I hear they're generally caught while trolling deep in fairly large lakes. I also seem to recall that they are in fact not a trout, but a Char.

Come to think of it, I have heard mixed views on whether Arctic Char and Dolly Varden are in fact the same thing or if Dollies are a form of Char or what. Does anybody know the whole truth about this classification relationship?

For that matter, how is it that Browns, Rainbows, Cutthtroats, and Goldens are viewed as true trout when the Browns originated over 4000 miles from the nearest native waters of the Western North American Trout species? (Rainbows, Cutthtroats, and Goldens) Add to that the fact that Brook Trout, which are in fact a Char originated right in the middle of those two areas. Any body know the deal here?

fshfanatic 03-18-2005 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff
I also haven't heard much about lakers being caught on a fly. From what I hear they're generally caught while trolling deep in fairly large lakes. I also seem to recall that they are in fact not a trout, but a Char.

Come to think of it, I have heard mixed views on whether Arctic Char and Dolly Varden are in fact the same thing or if Dollies are a form of Char or what. Does anybody know the whole truth about this classification relationship?

For that matter, how is it that Browns, Rainbows, Cutthtroats, and Goldens are viewed as true trout when the Browns originated over 4000 miles from the nearest native waters of the Western North American Trout species? (Rainbows, Cutthtroats, and Goldens) Add to that the fact that Brook Trout, which are in fact a Char originated right in the middle of those two areas. Any body know the deal here?

It is a Liberal Conspieracy. ;)

Fish Bones 03-18-2005 02:28 PM

Fanatic thinks everything is a Liberal Conspiracy. He probably blames the Liberals for making his truck window stop working.

BigCliff 03-21-2005 02:12 PM

Well considering he probably bought an American made truck assembled by members of Unions that are some of the biggest contributors to the Democratic party, he's sorta right!

(this may start a dangerous trend....)

enolaeagle 07-15-2013 11:21 PM

Old threads rule.................?