The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Who's caught...?

Hey Folx,
I was just curious if anybody out there has ever caught some of the rare/challenging coldwater species.

Let us know if you've ever caught:

Steelhead?

Bull Trout?

Wild Golden Trout?

Grayling?

Dolly Varden?

Taimen?

Marble Trout? (SE European)

Or any other rare/challenging ones I haven't mentioned

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who's caught...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
Hey Folx,

Let us know if you've ever caught:
Steelhead? yes

Bull Trout? yes

Wild Golden Trout? yes including some golden/rainbow hybrids that were quite a bit larger than the average golden.

Grayling? yes

Dolly Varden? yes

Taimen? No (not even sure what it is. I thought it was a lizard)

Marble Trout? (SE European) No.

Trouser Trout? No
Old 03-17-2005, 05:56 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Steelhead? Yup

Bull Trout? Nope

Wild Golden Trout? Yup

Grayling? Yup

Dolly Varden? Nope

Taimen? Nope

Marble Trout? (SE European) Nope
Old 03-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Taimen are a massive salmonid species native to Mongolia and surrounding areas. They are known for eating rodents all the way up to the size of a ground hog.

http://www.angling-travel.com/pic/TaimMan6.JPG

Old 03-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

How about lake trout?
Arctic Char?
I haven't heard too much about either one of these being caught on a fly.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

I also haven't heard much about lakers being caught on a fly. From what I hear they're generally caught while trolling deep in fairly large lakes. I also seem to recall that they are in fact not a trout, but a Char.

Come to think of it, I have heard mixed views on whether Arctic Char and Dolly Varden are in fact the same thing or if Dollies are a form of Char or what. Does anybody know the whole truth about this classification relationship?

For that matter, how is it that Browns, Rainbows, Cutthtroats, and Goldens are viewed as true trout when the Browns originated over 4000 miles from the nearest native waters of the Western North American Trout species? (Rainbows, Cutthtroats, and Goldens) Add to that the fact that Brook Trout, which are in fact a Char originated right in the middle of those two areas. Any body know the deal here?

Old 03-18-2005, 09:37 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
I also haven't heard much about lakers being caught on a fly. From what I hear they're generally caught while trolling deep in fairly large lakes. I also seem to recall that they are in fact not a trout, but a Char.

Come to think of it, I have heard mixed views on whether Arctic Char and Dolly Varden are in fact the same thing or if Dollies are a form of Char or what. Does anybody know the whole truth about this classification relationship?

For that matter, how is it that Browns, Rainbows, Cutthtroats, and Goldens are viewed as true trout when the Browns originated over 4000 miles from the nearest native waters of the Western North American Trout species? (Rainbows, Cutthtroats, and Goldens) Add to that the fact that Brook Trout, which are in fact a Char originated right in the middle of those two areas. Any body know the deal here?
It is a Liberal Conspieracy.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Fanatic thinks everything is a Liberal Conspiracy. He probably blames the Liberals for making his truck window stop working.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Well considering he probably bought an American made truck assembled by members of Unions that are some of the biggest contributors to the Democratic party, he's sorta right!

(this may start a dangerous trend....)

Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Old threads rule.................?

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...

Last edited by enolaeagle; 07-23-2013 at 05:50 AM.