The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 12:23 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Photo Theme of the week or Month

tob1: your waxwing shot is wonderful!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in!

Click the image to open in full size.
A scarlet dogwood reaching through the maples.

Purple a fall color? These beautyberries are.

Pond surface abstract of maple, oak, and duckweed.

I like the idea of a week/month photo theme. Let's do it!

Mike
Old 11-20-2011, 10:44 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Nice shots Sep.

d
Old 11-23-2011, 06:54 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

about as Fall colors I have left.

mike
thorsten likes this.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Mike,

That bunch of water shots you posted on the Show Us thread; did you use a ND filter on them? Also what lens?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-23-2011, 08:03 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey Mike,

That bunch of water shots you posted on the Show Us thread; did you use a ND filter on them? Also what lens?
Ard,

I almost hate to admit it, but those shots were all taken with a simple waterproof point-and-shoot camera - an Olympus Stylus Tough 8000. In fact, most of my on-stream pictures are. As clumsy as I am, taking the Nikon on he water - I shoot an older D70 around the house - is not an option. The Stylus I can dunk, drop, sit on, and freeze - all of which I have done on many, many occasions - and it slips into my pocket quite nicely.

I'm a big fan of Lightroom and use it extensively, but those particular three are pretty close to how they came out of the camera - minor crops and horizon leveling done, mostly. I've read mixed reviews on the Stylus line but I have had some pretty decent results.

Just goes to show that, with a little attention to light and composition, it doesn't take fancy equipment to get some nice images.

Mike

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

.. and to answer your question, the Stylus has the equivalent of a 28-102mm zoom lens. No filters possible.

MIke

OOPS!!! Wrong Mike... :-) My statement stands, however.

Last edited by Sep; 11-23-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Oops! Wrong Mike.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I see that having 2 'Mike's' participating here is going to cause some minor confusion Mike (Sep) I loved your water shots and they were beautiful views......................but I was asking the other Mike about the most recent entries he had made on the thread.

I understand exactly what you are saying about handling an SLR type camera on the rivers. Many a fine fish has escaped the stress and humiliation of a photo shoot because I leave mine in the boat more than carry it. I actually have a tiny little Kodak point & shoot that I should carry but I seldom have it along. I often consider a waterproof one myself but there are so many other things I could use more. I'm thinking of buying another Brit built Cascapedia and I guess I want that more

Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

doh!! hahah. I do like shooting water flows, yes ND filter was used. the lense on the water shots was my older canon 28-105mm USM I was bractet shooting from 1 sec f18 to 3 sec at f29 all with iso 100. If you click on my mbphotos page in my signiture I posted the full gallery in the Otter Creek Outdoor recreation Area Photos gallery. oh and tripod was used on all.. its still drying out from being used and a hiking stick since i wasnt using my wading shoes... feet still ended up wet. ahh the things we do for a good shot. If itll help you can reference me as mb to avoid future confusion.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:13 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Some fall colors

Trygve
Old 11-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Administrator

You know I like that Trygve, beautiful. I wish the weather was still like that here, today I shoveled out snow around the storage area of the snowmachine. Then I removed the spark plugs, cleaned them, shot a little Starting Fluid into each of the 3 cylinders, and got it fired up. After that I took it for a short drive to be sure all was well as when I put it up last spring. Once that was finished I did a little more snow plowing and then went inside and built a nice wood fire. All the outdoor stuff was accomplished in +3* F weather with more snow on the way.

When we get a break in temperatures I'll go XC skiing and take some snow pictures