The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Photo Theme of the week or Month

As always, someone's a step ahead of me. THANKS!!!

Sep
Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Since this thread has more photo of the week or month content I will place yesterdays pictures here. I was about to make a run to the post office at about 1:00 PM and since it was really chilly I headed out to start the car and unplug it. We use block heaters here on both the car & truck so that when you have left one set for several days in sub zero weather they are not frozen up.

Anyway, I opened the front door and stepped out onto the porch and something caught my ear directly to my left.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Well hello there; this young of the year female moose was munching on the day lilies that were buried by snow right beside the porch. She then moved to the flower planters. We have a pair of those 1/3 wooden keg style planters out front that grow full of Violas every year.

They learn fast here, she used a hoof to scrape away the snow revealing the plant matter hidden beneath it.

Little by little she cleaned the planters off. There's one job I won't have to do this coming spring.................. The pictures were taken out the front window, we keep a wood pile right there under roof so it's handy and she was right there and frequently stepped up and looked through at us.

Mom was not far away throughout the babies visit, she trimmed all of the trees out front while her baby cleaned out the planters.

The baby was pretty tunned in on finding more plants and she patrolled the perimeter of the house until she found every one, then she headed to the bird feeder. They were here until after 5:00 and dark, then moved on.

Mom stayed close, she stayed on the edge of the woods browsing and never competed with the baby for the easy pickings.

This was very noticeable that she was allowing her young one the prime feed. The yearling got all the planters and found her way to the rhubarb, chives, lupine and clover patches. It was pretty cool having them stay for the day, usually a lone moose or a group will pass through but seldom do they stay. There had been a young male here early in the morning but he fled at the first sound we made. Before the cow and calf left the cow found her way into the piles of tree tops left from all the timber we put down in September. This is a prime food stash for a moose to wander into, all the browse from 10 mature birch trees. I'm pretty sure they bedded down on our place last night because I can't imagine they were still hungry after all that

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Great stuff Ard!

Here's my winter image. No snow, but the gloom and the wind screaming across the flat Indiana farmlands make it plenty wintry.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sep
Old 12-15-2011, 02:14 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The moose scraping the snow off the planter reminds me of my dog using her paws to do... well, everything. They're certainly not just made for walking!

As far as my own contribution, I'll try to make a sand-man on the beach in Florida while I'm there

This was as I was leaving Buffalo for Kentucky, which is a stop on the way home to Florida. The bison statues are part of the welcoming committee to our beautiful city This was the first snow of the year which stuck, I believe it was a record for how late it came. The photo was taken at the beginning of a storm which was supposed to dump half a foot, rather fortuitous that I was driving out of there it seems!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Last edited by gatortransplant; 12-15-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics Ardlove the 5th pic....isn't she cute?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Great photos, definitely reminds me of living in Alaska. We lived on the north end of Fairbanks and it was pretty common to have the moose wonder thru during the winter.

Larry

Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Definately some great photos there Ard,

Sep and Gator, look to be starting the winter season as well

I had started another thread for december, but, it looks you all are just continuing on this one, I am cool with it either way. What do you all want to do - just keep posting to this one (the sticky) or do a new thread each month?

I have been waiting for snow, but nothing yet here in Reno, Nv. I did get up to the lake a couple weeks ago, we had to ice break until things warmed up around 11 am or so. No takers on anything I was offering, but had to leave by noon and only really got a couple hours in. Would have been better if I could have stayed a little longer, fish were just starting to rise as I was loading up the car.

I did get a picture of the ice on the lake but it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, and it is kind of hard to tell what I was taking a picture of, so, oh well, still waiting for that one winter zinger to post.

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Last edited by webrx; 12-22-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:43 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

im cool with keeping this going, I didnt even see the new thread yet. not much winter here yet. just rain..
Old 12-22-2011, 09:28 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

This was taken 12-3-11. Ice on the tube, ice in the guides, even had ice on the back of my hand. My waders flash froze when I exited the water, had to be careful not to break them. Air temp. 25, wind chill unknown. Did manage two fish. milt. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

^HARDCORE thats wild