The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 PM

reelgrease is on a distinguished road
Default How connected are Fly Fishing + Music?

For me, and I think for a lot of folks, there is a natural and close connection between fly fishing and music. Whether it’s the playlist in the truck on the way to the stream or the live music in the bar after a long, great day on the river, music accompanies much — not all — of the fly fishing experience. There is, of course, time in the river, when the only music comes from the water rushing over the rocks and the wind in the trees.

My new site www.reelgrea.se is about the songs that—I think—are best suited to “before” and “after” parts. It goes way beyond old The Who and Zeppelin CDs (though I do really appreciate those too). These are songs that could be, should be, and are being, heard live in the bars and saloons of the great fly fishing towns across America today—places like Missoula, Redding, Bend, Mountain Home, West Yellowstone, Jackson, Truckee.

These songs exist at the intersections of blues music, rock & roll, country, alt. country, folk, gospel, bluegrass, and Americana.

These are great songs . . . Come check 'em out.

Justin
Reel Grease
Old 11-18-2011, 01:31 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How connected are Fly Fishing + Music?

Music? Not in the least Justin.

But folks do a when they see me on the river as a radio/ear phones are normally clamped over my BB hat. In range of radio = talk radio ... yes, Rush L. Out of range a book on tape/CD.

Just a personal observation here only, music distracts you, information keeps you focused.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I can't think of anything I'd less rather hear while fishing than Rush Limbaugh telling me what I should be pissed off about.

I'll play music on rare occasions while fishing, but I generally prefer the sound of the river. If I played some while on salt flats, maybe I wouldn't subject myself to so much mullet-noise whiplash.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:50 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: How connected are Fly Fishing + Music?

Ah come on Cliff. Agree or disagree at least 'he' makes you think. Others that follow (same local radio station) get a total tune out .....

Actually one of the best things (for me) about fishing are "Books on Tape." Library is full of them and books you'd never take the time to sit down and read are flowing through your ears. And in that vain (sp?) on long drives far better (safer) than listening to the radio.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:09 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Being that I have no ipod or walkman thingy and no radio in my Jeep, I'm usually humming whatever gets stuck in my head.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:07 AM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough

For me music is very connected to everything I do, it is probably my single biggest pass time even more than fishing. I have been plaing guitar for gettin' close to 40 years now. I do not listen to music while I fish (typically), but I do on the drive out, back or when camping I always bring a guitar for some fire side singin'. And, sorry, no disrespect intended at all, but I would rather jab a fork in my ear than listen to RL.

Jimbo
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I like the river sounds; it's music to me, and I get more than enough media input when I'm not fishing. However, when not fishing I do tune in to Rush every chance I get and I'm not even a U.S. resident!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:31 PM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

No music while fishing. It's breaks my concentration and takes some of my concentration off spotting fish or picking the best spot to put place my feet for the next cast.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

For me, Fly fishing, Camping or even driving through the mountains or just being out where there are tall trees have very little incommon with music.
Yeah, I know, Camping conjures up fireside sing-alongs... But I was never much into that either. And I consider myself an average, so-so guitar player.

Dave
Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy music, but when off the blacktop driving thru the mountains, fishing/camping or walking a trail I don't want to hear or see anything that reminds me of man.

Listened to each of the songs you posted, some great stuff and am always interested discovery when it's a positive thing.

Thanks for sharing

Dave