The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 08:56 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough
Default Buyer Beware

I had purchased a rod from California Fly Shop on November 9th which I had to send back for a refund. The rod was back in their possession on the 16th. Since then, I've been getting the runaround about my refund. The rod was sealed in the factory packaging, and I received an email stating that all was good the return, but I had to wait for the persona that deals with returns to refund my PayPal payment. I called on the 17th and spoke with the person who I've been corresponding over email about my return. She said that the person approved my return and I will receive my refund in the next few days. As a side note, PayPal refunds are instant, unlike a credit card where it may take several days for it to show up. On the 28th, I opened up a dispute claim with PayPal regarding this transaction since I hadn't received my refund and subsequent attempts to communicate with the retailer have been in vain.

Just wanted to give y'all a heads up about my experience with this retailer.

***UPDATE***
I've received my refund.

***UPDATE 2***
I've been reimbursed for return shipping.
Wish my experience could have been different. The Gorge Fly Shop, the only other online fly retailer I've needed to return items to, treated me like gold in the same situation; professional and responsive.

Last edited by hollyw00d; 12-03-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default re: Buyer Beware

Occupy california fly shop!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough

as it turns out, i just received my refund. unfortunately, i was not compensated for shipping the rod back to them, as promised, and was accused for being the cause of not receiving my refund by filing a claim with PayPal.

blah blah blah, i've developed a severe allergy to California Fly Shop and my doctor recommended i stay away. i'll do as prescribed.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I don't like this type of thread because we only hear one side of the story. Getting an immediate credit for a return is not something I see with a lot of companies. hollyw00d got his refund and that is what is important. We don't know why the rod was returned so we have no way of knowing if paying the return shipping was a reasonable thing. I have returned many things and sent in many others for repair and I aways have to pay for the shipping back to the vendor.

I am not saying hollyw00d doesn't have a legitimate complaint. I am just saying we don't know the other side of the story. From what I have read I would buy from California Fly Shop.

Edit: I checked the California Fly Shop returns procedure and they do say they will pay returned shipping in some cases. Here is what the return policy states:

"The biggest problem with buying gear on the Internet is that you can’t be sure about what you’re buying until it shows up. If it’s a rod, you want to cast it. If it’s a reel you want to turn the handle and tighten the drag. We get that. In order to make sure the gear you buy is right for you, we’re offering free returns for all unused gear and merchandise within 30 days of purchase.

Here’s the thing: if you decide to return the gear back to us, you must send it in the original packaging with the tags on, along with your receipt and in the same condition we sent it to you – which means new. If you get it wet or dirty or in any condition other than pristine you can consider it yours – and we will too."

Their refund policy states that payment will be made within seven days after receipt and inspection.

Frank
---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------
Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 AM

reason for return: did not like the lack of communication when inquiring about order status, so i sourced rod locally between when i placed the order and when it arrived.

return shipping policy: "In order to make sure the gear you buy is right for you, we’re offering free returns for all unused gear and merchandise within 30 days of purchase."

my experience, and opinion, is all i have to share. the purchasing aspect is great: place an order, receive what you ordered. if you want to know the status of your order or if you need to return your order, it was a horrible experience.

to each their own, but i will never recommend buying from California Fly Shop to anyone.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

not sure why i have to defend my experience. this would have never been posted if the company communicated with their new customer; kept me in the loop, so to speak.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi hollyw00d,

You don't have to defend your position. You choose to post your complaint and I just want to make sure it is fairly presented. I think you have now down that.

Frank
Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyw00d View Post
reason for return: did not like the lack of communication when inquiring about order status, so i sourced rod locally between when i placed the order and when it arrived.

return shipping policy: "In order to make sure the gear you buy is right for you, we’re offering free returns for all unused gear and merchandise within 30 days of purchase."

my experience, and opinion, is all i have to share. the purchasing aspect is great: place an order, receive what you ordered. if you want to know the status of your order or if you need to return your order, it was a horrible experience.

to each their own, but i will never recommend buying from California Fly Shop to anyone.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

not sure why i have to defend my experience. this would have never been posted if the company communicated with their new customer; kept me in the loop, so to speak.
What was the "lack of communication" that got your panties in a wad enough to send the rod back? No tracking number to see when it would arrive? So you get wound up, buy one locally and send the original one back.
No you don't have to defend yourself, but when you put it on a public website and fishing forum, expect to get flogged in a one sided story. Not trying to cause trouble or pi$$ you off, but it's a fact of internet life. Plus being kept in the loop- how should that accomplished?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
What was the "lack of communication" that got your panties in a wad enough to send the rod back? No tracking number to see when it would arrive? So you get wound up, buy one locally and send the original one back.
No you don't have to defend yourself, but when you put it on a public website and fishing forum, expect to get flogged in a one sided story. Not trying to cause trouble or **** you off, but it's a fact.
sounds good.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 PM

carbonnet is on a distinguished road

Dear Vainius,

I am sorry to hear you’ve developed such a severe allergy to our store, that sounds kind of painful! And since I don’t agree with your recounting of the facts I would like to give what others have asked for, the other side of the story:

You purchased this rod from us on the 8th and we shipped it out that day. The next day, before you’d even received the rod, you called us to tell us that you’d found it cheaper at another online store and wanted to return it. We advised you to refuse shipment of the rod, and agreed to refund your money once we’d received the rod and verified it was in the same perfect condition in which we’d sent it to you. Shipping being what it is, it took some time for the rod to get back to us. Happily it was in good condition and we were able to issue your refund.

Here’s the thing, I personally refunded your money over PayPal that day. It didn’t go through and the only reason I can find to explain why is that you’d filed a claim and PayPal was holding the money pending an outcome. As you know, you have since received everything you were due.

We understand that customers have a lot of choices for their fly fishing shopping and we want to make things as easy as possible for our customers. This is why we pay for shipping and return shipping. And as I stated in my refund message to you, which you did not feel fit to share with this audience, it was never our intention to delay your refund in any way.

My very best of luck to you in the future.

Tight Lines,

Karen Carbonnet
Co-Owner, California Fly Shop
Old 12-03-2011, 09:42 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Well there you have it. The other side to the story. (that came out Paul Harveyish)
Pretty cool she answered. Now if Frank can get them as a sponsor......