The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough
Default more online purchasing woes

i will attempt to keep retailer names out of this one.

Incident 1:
i recently purchased a rod and a rod tube from Company A via their online store. the transaction was smooth, so i decided to pick up a second, identical rod tube, from the same company. i received the rod tube today, and it's completely not what i ordered. honest mistake, it happens, no big deal, right? i emailed Company A about the mix up and asked how i needed to proceed to exchange the received tube for the one on my receipt. my order was for a TFO rod tube but an off-brand rod tube was shipped instead. i received a response shortly after which made me a little uneasy. this Company A representative that responded to my email stated that they sell the off-brand rod tube under the TFO name. it's holds absolutely no resemblance to the tube i ordered. it's not even of decent quality. that email did state to ship the tube back so it can be exchanged for a triangular rod tube. i've responded asking for a return shipping label to ship this rod tube back and am awaiting a response.

so, it would seem, it is common practice to ship off-brand rod tubes to people who order a specific brand from Company A. is this a wrong conclusion to draw? how would you react in this situation?

Incident 2:
i purchased an item from Company B that i needed to return. i paid the return shipping and received a refund for the full amount except for $10, which was stated to be the shipping charges of the initial shipment. their policy clearly states that shipping charges are not refunded. all good right? here's the kicker, i never paid for shipping; the purchase included free shipping and there were no shipping or handling charges on my receipt. how am i liable for shipping when shipping was never included in the sale? let's flip this around: if i received a free gift with my order, and decided to return the order do i have the right to keep the free gift? what are your thought on this scenario?

in the end, Company B did refund the $10, but am i wrong for thinking that since no shipping charges were on the invoice, Company B shouldn't choose some arbitrary amount to withhold? perhaps a restocking fee would be more appropriate?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: more online purchasing woes

I have made quite a few mail order purchases that either began through an on - line store or a hard copy catalog. Perhaps my experiences are a product of age or they may be the result of a sort of paranoid anal, overly cautious personality complex. My advice to you will make several points which I have found to be very helpful.

When there is a glitch such as those you describe, do not become obsessed with the situation. When you run into a difficulty and must contact the merchant you need to use a great deal of tact. You need to have the person you contact to emphasize with your situation. The way to get there is not to complain but to pleasantly inform the other party of your problem not to accuse the seller of making a mistake. Describe the mistake but do not attempt to have anyone 'own' the mistake, not you, not them.

In order to avoid future problems you need to be very thorough in questioning the seller regarding all the details of the sale and the product you are ordering. Documentation is paramount when a long distance transaction is taking place between parties who are unfamiliar with one another. In the process of asking questions you shouldn't give the other party the impression that you are badgering them but you must be sure they understand what you want or need from them.

Often we can find ourselves caught up in a misunderstanding, when we take time to examine all of the dialog that precipitated the situation we sometimes realize that there was much we could have done which would have mitigated the whole mess, this is what we know as hindsight.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-08-2011, 06:13 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Sound advice Ard...Well spoken.

Dave
Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Or buy local....
Old 12-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Clint,

Glad to see your post, yeah the 'in person' approach cuts way down on the chance of any misunderstandings for sure. I forgot that one

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough

thanks guys. i'm sure everything will work out in the end.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Sound advice Ard...Well spoken.

Dave
+1 here. But the next post makes a very good point. IF you have the option of 'buying local' do so. Example is footwear; NEVER buy any of that on line .... REPEAT ...... NEVER.

Street shoes, nope, wader boots tripple 'nope.' there you want your wader, socks you'll wear and then try on boots. You'll find you'll probably 'up-size' by as much as two sizes to get enough 'toe wiggle room.' Example the boots I wear in the summer (street shoe size is 10) I wear an 11. Winter boots and an extra heavy socks ..... a 12.