The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Christmas Moose;

We had company on Christmas morning

At first light today Boss and I were out walking in the drive and there stood a moose on the edge of the yard. I took Boss in (he never made a sound, just looked) and grabbed the camera. She headed for the woods out back then hung around for about 45 minuets trimming the brush.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Best guess is that this is a 2 year old, the other night without enough light for a photo we had a mature cow and a bull with about 40" antlers in the yard for hours. I am hoping they make another trip through in the daylight.......

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-25-2011, 05:42 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christmas Moose;

Thanks for sharing Ard, great stuff. Am looking forward to our retirement in Montana and the opportunity to take a few photos like yours. It appears that you have a fair amount of snow on the ground. I would imagine that is a good sign that the winds haven't started howling yet.

Dave
Old 12-25-2011, 05:44 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Man, Ard, you got it all there in Alaska!

Great photos.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-25-2011, 06:48 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Ard has teh "Northern Exposure" thing going on there it looks like, with Moose in the yard, a warm fire, a ton of snow.....

Real Christmasy.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:22 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Thanks for sharing your Christmas visitor with us Ard...Hope you and Nancy are having a wonderful Christmas...

Dan
Old 12-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Everyone,

We get quite a few moose, 1 or sometimes 2 or three at a time weekly. I don't always notice them but when you look outside they are hard to miss if there.

David,

We had just about 2' of snow down about 3 weeks back and then had 4 days of warm weather (highs in the upper 40's and low 50's) and it dropped to a few inches with rainfall packing it down. Then we got about another foot or so and a week ago another warm front that reduced that to a few inches as well. It is snowing as I write this, probably 3" since the moose was here this morning, I'm hopping it stays cold. When I plow the drive the entire thing is a sheet of ice about 2" thick. It's almost 300' long with a large circular parking area / turn around at the end so it is a nightmare on the ice. I have spread gravel twice but the snows bury it then the plow removes it so................

It's better than last winter because we have snow and no frozen septic. For those reading that don't know about the frozen septic you should go to the blog page and go back through the pages until you find 'What Do You Mean It's Frozen' what an ordeal Better yet, if you have time for a short story about what happens when it doesn't snow in Alaska, here's the link; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ts-frozen.html

Snow is good,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-26-2011, 03:09 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Boss? I thought Nancy was the boss. Hmmm...doesn't the dog get confused? Oh, and Ard, keep the snow there. Brrrrrrr!
Old 12-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great to have such visitors...thanks for sharing Ard
OK I think you're right about who the boss is
Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Everyone,

It's better than last winter because we have snow and no frozen septic. For those reading that don't know about the frozen septic you should go to the blog page and go back through the pages until you find 'What Do You Mean It's Frozen' what an ordeal Better yet, if you have time for a short story about what happens when it doesn't snow in Alaska, here's the link; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ts-frozen.html

Snow is good,

Ard
Woozie.

Wait till you spend a few winters in Manitoba. Family farms were on the edge of 'perma-frost' and the back hoe hadn't been invented. Vividly, even at 69, remember my Uncles drilling holes in the farm yard for 'pit toilets.' After 6'ish feet it was DI-No-Might the bottom, shovel out add another stick or two and repeat. Should add, at my tender young age I 'did my thing' in a bucket in the mud room.

Next spring, just fill in the holes ........
Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

brings back some great memories ard!
i remember counting 23 moose one morning on my way to school

casey

ARFE