The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New Year Bull moose;

Long ago I managed a bar and worked as the evening bartender. I often thought that instead of asking for proof of age there should also be an IQ test before I served people

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Alls it would take is four magic words " I bet you won't..." and I was off and running. Anyhow, I love these pics and I hope you don't mind but this bull might end up on my desktop!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Use it and I'll try to find you a better one before they drop the antlers.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I was fishing from a canoe on Moosehead Lake several years ago in the Fall; early in the morning, a little smoke on the water, just above Kineo, when I was startled by this bull moose head moving toward me at a pretty good clip; probably not more than 50 feet away, and in a panic situation it looked to be roughly the size of my canoe. Anxious is too mild a word, I dropped my rod, which bounced on the gunnel before plunking into the water, grabbed my paddle and beat a very hasty retreat (I must have paddled for 2-3 minutes, as fast as I could, without looking back at all). Turned out that the moose was just making a straight line passage across the cove, but when they're coming at you for any reason, it triggers the flight part of my fight or flight program; that's for sure!

Nice pics Ard. He must have been curious to stay around for 35 minutes.

Pocono
Old 01-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Administrator

He was standing in the middle of the back yard at 11:09 AM my time today Allan, but when I stepped to the big window and saw him he saw me as well. He then did a fast walk down over the slope and headed right back to where he was feeding yesterday.

This would have been a great photo had I seen him before he was in the back yard. They stay around here because we have a few acres of undisturbed woods that offers browse and no one driving around on snowmachines. Very soon I will be dropping some trees for next winters fire wood. Once all those tree tops are down there will be moose around until they have them cleaned up.

Speaking of Moosehead Lake, I began going there in the late 70's and went up every fall until 1987, during that time I saw some very large moose around Spencer Bay and for that matter darn near everywhere I went. I used to fish the Ragged River out the Golden Road before Bowater bought it from Great Northern. This was from my discovering it in 1978 until the 86/87 trips. I went back in 1994 and found many many changes and can only wish that I would have been able to make movies of those places beginning 34 years ago. Like everywhere that area is affected by development and although 78' wasn't 58' it was still a pretty wild place then.

I often look around myself here in Alaska and wonder what it was like before everyone owned a snowmachine, a 4 wheeler, or an aircraft. I content myself with the crumbs that have been missed but my mind wanders and I dream of this place in its past glory. If I could change one thing in my past I would reach back to 1973 when the Alaska Pipeline was just getting started and I would come here. 39 years would have made an incredible difference in what I found. Have you ever thought about such things/

Ard

Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Ard, I started going to Moosehead back in the mid-'50's. My uncle, who liked to fish, had a place in Kineo; not far from the old hotel, so we used to go up quite a bit; took the train in those days. It was an interesting place in the 50's; at least as I remember it; but I was mostly focused on the lake, fishing, canoing and building campfires back then.

I go back every now a then; but it's not the same. Much more built-up and although it will never qualify as suburban, it sure feels a lot more like that than it used to.

The moose are still there!

Pocono
Old 01-02-2012, 04:03 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
They can be defensive when under threat and combative when in the rut. Other than finding yourself in a very unique situation with one I would not feel threatened by one.
Awesome that you got the pic, Ard! I've run into them out and about 3 times and they are shy...although I'd be leery of a mom with some youngsters, huh?

-Mike
Old 01-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Now there's something that brings a memory to life.

In 2005 I was fishing the North Fork of Campbell Creek outside Anchorage, this is a very productive trout / char stream that also gets king & silver salmon. The presence of the salmon makes this an ideal venue for brown bears and you are doing yourself a favor to stay very vigilante when fishing there.

Aside from the salmon the picture below is representative of the average fish you catch in the upper reaches of the creek.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

One day as I ducked through the alders and willow that can almost create a tunnel through which the stream passes I stood up after clearing the overhead limbs and started walking up the side of the stream. On my left I saw movement and with its head down a cow moose can look a lot like a dark brown phase bear. I stopped in my tracks and the moose took a few steps and looked right at me. The range was close, I didn't need the zoom feature of the camera that was in my jacket.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Oh boy, a cow and calf, I took this picture and then began to notice the posture of the mother moose's ears and the raised mane on her back. When they lay the ears flat back and raise the mane they are either frightened or in some way ready for something that may be a threat. I stood motionless for a little while and then began moving back and down the creek from where I had came. She watched like that until I was gone but never moved toward me. Of course if I had persisted in photographing and stood my ground she probably would have taken the little one and ran but I left. I run into these animals often and also see enough brown bears to keep them on the top of my mind when I fish small creeks. With the bears they either run immediately or I leave right away unless I can spot one a hundred yards away there are no photos taken. I have a few but my general response is to leave.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Ard, I started going to Moosehead back in the mid-'50's. My uncle, who liked to fish, had a place in Kineo; not far from the old hotel, so we used to go up quite a bit; took the train in those days. It was an interesting place in the 50's; at least as I remember it; but I was mostly focused on the lake, fishing, canoing and building campfires back then.

I go back every now a then; but it's not the same. Much more built-up and although it will never qualify as suburban, it sure feels a lot more like that than it used to.

The moose are still there!

Pocono
You are very lucky to have those memories Allan, the difference I noted just between say, 1980 and 1994 was extreme. Most notably was the absence of land lock salmon in the Roach River. By 1994 there was not a 3 fish per day limit. There was a small visitors pavilion built at the trail head where the state of Maine wanted you to take a moment to fill out a research questionnaire.

In 1979 there were so many salmon stacked in the river from lower Roach Pond Dam down stream as far as the Warden's Pool that people were taking many limits daily. I never kept any of the fish and was appalled to see what was happening. It was not unusual to have a day that you could catch as many as 15 of these salmon on a streamer fly and large ones would go around 6 pounds.

Getting back to 1994 and that questionnaire, as I recall they wanted to know how many in your party, did anyone catch a salmon, did anyone hook what you believed to be a salmon, and ........ did anyone see what they can definitely identify as a salmon. That may not be completely accurate but that was the gist of the data the state was looking to collect. We saw none.

The Kenebec & Moose Rivers did produce some fish as well as the Penobscot above Big Eddy but none of any great size. I have not been back in that part of the country since then, I hope things have improved.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:17 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

Great pics Hardy! Here is a young shiras I bumped into while bow hunting elk in Colorados Vasquez Peak Wilderness. Much smaller than Alaskan moose but they are still a big critter. I was rushing to get back to my tent to beat a thunderstorm when I came face to face with this guy. He was close enough that the cameras flash reflected in his eyes.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:18 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
If I could change one thing in my past I would reach back to 1973 when the Alaska Pipeline was just getting started and I would come here. 39 years would have made an incredible difference in what I found. Have you ever thought about such things/
I find it interesting how quickly the land can change from being wild to civilized and back to wild again. 1000 yr old indian communities large enough to drive out the game, farm the land dry of nutrients and eventually the community disappears. White man finds the area wild and the process starts all over again, today that area is starting to drift toward being wild again. Sure would like to have been the first person in Montana with a fly rod.

Dave