The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default New Year Bull moose;

This guy never came close to the house, he hung down in some browse while I stood on the trail behind our house for almost 35 minuets waiting for a good shot. When I finally had a chance he heard the shutter and left on the double. The temp when this was taken, -23 F. I would have stood there as long as it took to get you a shot of a bull but he was not interested in coming up for a close up.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I would guess this to be a 3 year old, possibly going to be 4 this spring. Body weight looked to be about 1000 and the antlers about 40" This is when he heard the camera and looked right at me; he then left into heavier cover.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Probably the only way I'll ever get one of those calender moose shots would be to go up to the park and find one that will pose. Every time I have ran into a really big moose in the wild they don't stick around to allow for pictures.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-01-2012, 07:11 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Year Bull moose;

Too cool Ard! Its amazing how 40" is totally dwarfed by the body mass and head!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bill,

I'm guessing that tip to tip not 40 each, until the antlers are about 30" each they look small on a big bull body. I'm no moose expert but I used to have an American Quarter Horse Paint; the horse was a 15 hand size and I've seen bull moose that look bigger than he was.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Amazing creatures they are. I've only ever seen a handful in the wild and its almost scary in way, when you're used to the average whitetail!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing Ard. How far away were you when taking the shot? I understand they can have quite the nasty temperament.

Dave
Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Administrator

I was about 50 yards away from him. My experience with them is pretty much the same as with bears, they run when they realize you are there. Were you to run head to head with one in thick cover and surprise it then all bets are off. What I mean is that if you were trekking a moose path beside a creek in the bush and came face to face he would probably still bolt and run but I could not guarantee which direction. They can be defensive when under threat and combative when in the rut. Other than finding yourself in a very unique situation with one I would not feel threatened by one.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:01 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

If you sneak-up on him, really, really quietly, I'll bet that you can snip a small clump of hairs for tying, and he won't even notice!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-01-2012, 08:06 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
If you sneak-up on him, really, really quietly, I'll bet that you can snip a small clump of hairs for tying, and he won't even notice!!
Would pay good money to see that done...

Dave
Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Administrator

There's an urban legend in Anchorage about a drunk at a popular Pub located along the shore of Campbell Creek who bet someone he could ride a moose that was browsing on the side of the creek.

City moose are different than country moose. Yep I said city moose, they wander around downtown Anchorage and they are not spooked by people. Anyway legend has it that homeboy carefully approached the moose and figured to mount it (for a ride that is) and the moose responded when he tried to touch it by pummeling him with the front hooves sending the fellow to the hospital in critical condition. I believe this was 2003 or 04, but sadly any such action by a moose may result in its destruction by wildlife officers if they can find the animal in question. I have not heard of a moose in an unprovoked state attacking anyone and I have never bothered to provoke one myself, I ride a motorcycle when I want to ride

Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM

Its stories like that, that remind me why I quit drinking!!