The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree373Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: a foody thread?

nice looking chicken newby!
grilling season has finally arrived!

ARFE
Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 AM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

Casey, it was looking good here too as far as outdoor grilling goes.....AND THENNN

30 mph gusts from the NW and temps at around -10F with the wind chill. So

much for the Kasliof tomorrow. Food looks good!! I'll post some pics on this

thread once I get my computer fixed.
caseywise likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There's way too much snow here to enjoy grilling on the deck. We got an inch this evening to go with the 20 we have in the past few days. It's cold here too, gonna be -0 tonight.

I made a huge tray of beef nachos tonight with all the trimmings. You know what I mean, the way we wish they were when ordered in a restaurant
caseywise likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

hang in there guys........it wont be long

ARFE
Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I always forget to take a picture.................

This morning I shelled a bunch of King Crab and Nancy made a crab omelet with cheddar and sour cream. Yummy
caseywise likes this.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:38 AM

spring ham.....prepared in the same way i was taught from my dad, he from his and so on.
this ones in remembrance to my grandfather who passed away recently.

Click the image to open in full size.

and, yes it was good pap

casey

ARFE
Old 04-12-2013, 12:42 AM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

You just brought a tear to my eye Brother. Nice looking ham, Pap would be proud.
caseywise likes this.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 AM

paymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of light

Last two cooks I did on the Akorn were some grilled items.

rubberguy likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM

barbeque chicken on the grill

and the finished meal with mushroom risotto and sauteed brussel sprouts
with rarebit sauce and bacon

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Hi Casey,

That looks good!

I don't take pictures so you'll have to use your minds eye here. Tonight we had a standing rib roast. I began preparing it last Friday with a heavy rub / coating of ground rosemary, a pinch of sage, a wee bit of marjoram, a dash of salt and plenty of ground black pepper corns. To this dry mixture I add a few large cloves of peeled garlic pressed with a garlic ricer.

Once things were coated heavily I do a little injecting with a marinade made with beef stock and infused with that same blend of herbs & spices. I add a small shot of lime juice for the acid property of the juice, this acid aids as a tenderizer but is not noticeable to the taste.

Friday through today, Tuesday, I remove the roast from the refrigerator and turn it so that gravity does its work with the injected marinade. I leave the meat (about a 10 pound roast) out each day to reach room temperature and then put in back in the cool each night. This warming to counter top temps each day aids in the aging process. Aging breaks down the protein structure of the meat and is a large part of the tenderizing process as well.

The end result is something that I have fairly well perfected over 27 years of cooking prime rib of beef. The roast was done just right and was almost fork tender. The flavor of the rub was evident throughout the entire cut of which mine was about a 30 ounce slab.

last weekend I did a turkey and I did take a couple pictures of that. I will post them soon as I load them to my pictures. I make a stuffing that you may find worth a try. If you want I will post the stuffing along with the turkey pictures.

Ard
caseywise likes this.