The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Fishing & Fitness;

Good thread, Ard...this is just what I needed to inspire me. I am pretty sedentary and lazy in the dark months. It really gets to me, too. I'll try to get for a good hike on the weekends, but weekdays...eh...not so much going on.

Larry - 4.5 miles and hour is darn good clip, good for you man.

I kind of just let the seasons dictate, I try to fight it sometimes but rarely win. Feels like fighting nature itself sometimes. Hell, it's dark when I go to work and dark when go home. There is something to be said for cozy rooms, heavy beer, good books and tying vises. Come April, those things will all take a backseat and I'll be running (I may try the a Half this year, Eunan. It's in June, how much training time do I need to go from nothing to 13 miles?) and hopefully riding single track again this year, and fishing. Lots of hiking and fishing!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Some day's getting motivated to make a run to the gym is hard. I would much rather find something else to spend time at but once I get moving I am happy. There is nothing easier than doing virtually nothing, while few things can pick up your spirits on an off day like exercise.

I went yesterday and tonight is Sushi Class this was my Christmas present and tonight's the big start!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Some day's getting motivated to make a run to the gym is hard. I would much rather find something else to spend time at but once I get moving I am happy. There is nothing easier than doing virtually nothing, while few things can pick up your spirits on an off day like exercise.

I went yesterday and tonight is Sushi Class this was my Christmas present and tonight's the big start!
I agree with everything you said. I am envious of you folks with the motivation to defy, what seems like, the much stronger than normal gravitational pull on my ass through the chair!

I do love to cook, a cooking class in the winter is a great idea. Assuming Sushi Class is about making it.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you may have read my post in the chatbox, but will repeat it here. Was shaving last week and discovered that I now have man boobs. Figured there was only two options, start shaving them or begin an exercise program. Well that answer was easy, so Monday, not wanting to over do it, I began watching 10 minutes of Jack La Lane reruns on TV. With any luck at all, I should live to be older than a white dog turd.

Dave
Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've switched to big beer cans like Fosters, and switch arms regularly.
mojo likes this.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I started at the gym when I turned 40. Now 6 yrs in my wife has joined me; we don't always get our goal of 3 or 4 workouts per week but we're trying. Hopefully she'll stay with me on it longer than she did the flyfishing...actually she already has...only made one trip
Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Ah! I love this thread! As someone.who is about to finish their undergrad in exercise and movement science I could babble all day on the subject, like ard mentioned o think having a strong and balanced core is the reason felt or rubber boots is not am issue for me. Which is a result of working our 5-6 times every week. If anyone has a fitness or diet question pm me and i would be more than happy to answer to the beat of my ability.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

A couple of years ago I was dragging after a full day of rock hopping on a river in Sequoia (steep and at altitude). Since I've done treadmill three days a week; 30 min ea; and make sure I increase the incline twice.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Wow. You all impressed me. Since I retired I really got a case of lazys. I got in the habit of sleeping late & only doing what had to be done.(like an old dog). Now I got a bloodhound pup that needs at least 2 mi / day of brisk walking & with the tracking training we're doing, sometimes double that. Along with that & my last physical at the VA I decided to finally get a little more serious & quit the smokes & start some type of program. Even if it's only the WII program it won't hurt. I'm not too keen on gyms or machines ( tried & sold the treadmill ) so I'm getting active around the house & outside with the brisk walks & chopping. Along with that the VA said my sugar was high & suggested a diet so I'm on that. It'll take a while but I have to lose 30 lbs. to get rid of the 6 pack in my gut.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Lancer09,

I didn't know what your major study was, you are probably the most fit of the group.

Neil,

I don't know if you were ever a bicyclist , if not I'm not suggesting you start now....... but if you have enjoyed riding in the past now may be the time to get back on one. It is my favorite way got get some movement, 0 impact to the joints or close to 0 and with time it'll put a fellow in shape.

Today I am getting my exercise by looking for my wallet! I believe I've put on half a mile right here in the house plus lots of trips up and down the stairs and runs to the truck. You know the drill, maybe it's really there and I just missed it

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;