The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 02:04 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly Fishing & Fitness;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Today I am getting my exercise by looking for my wallet! I believe I've put on half a mile right here in the house plus lots of trips up and down the stairs and runs to the truck. You know the drill, maybe it's really there and I just missed it
Ard

I'm sure you'll find it in the last place you look......... __________________
Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Doing p 90x helps. I did twice and am doing Yoga, which helps you to have balance and strengthen your core.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Ard

I'm sure you'll find it in the last place you look......... __________________
You were absolutly right

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Time to bring this topic back up because spring is on the way. I've done a good job of visiting the gym since last December. After wearing out my knees via basketball & downhill skiing I didn't think I would be able to run for exercise without inflaming the joints. I was wrong and all the tread mill running has been great for getting things in order. The weight work is putting some tone back into the old limbs also.

The other day we skied for miles and I was fit for more at the end of the day, how bout the rest of you guys?

Click the image to open in full size.
milt spawn likes this.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:20 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

If you stop moving, everything gets rusty. I'll see if I can conjure up some pix and tell you what I've been up to lately. milt.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Jiu Jitsu once or twice a week is a pretty intense muscular and most days cardio workout as well. There is nothing quite as taxing as a 5 minute period of fighting and groud fighting. I've been doing that for a few years now and I love it as exercise. Our instructor is a retired Marine Fast Team member, so he really likes to stick it to us Marine style and it hurts most days. It isn't quite enough in the cardio area so I have to jog once a week or so also.

In the summer...yardwork, woodsplitting for the woodstove, move this bush here, take that bush out there; in fact I did 6 hours of that today. Not to mention I do a swift walk for 12 hours every time I go to work; probably log about 6-8 miles there 3 days a week. I have a 3 yr old Yellow Lab,
Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 AM
Administrator

You've got that right Milt and Jason, you won't have to worry about rust for a while with a lifestyle like yours.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

Well, my experience is a little different than others.
One year ago (almost to the day) I quit smoking. With a new found wiggle room in the budget, I was able to pick up fly fishing again after about a 15 year hiatus. That has allowed me more outdoor time and a positive health impact.
On top of that, I have taken to eating as few processed foods as possible and sticking to whole food options; organic when I can, and as much veggies and fruits as I can muster.
My health in general has improved dramatically and I have lost a few pounds to boot. Soon I will be exercising more and working on stamina, but even if I don't do that, I still am much better off than I used to be.
I work 11 hour days as a machine designer and have a hobby farm to boot, so I have a hard time scratching out time for the gym, but I figure throwing around 50 pound bails of hay and feed are almost as good as weights. HaHa

I hope everyone has a great fishing weekend! We are supposed to have awesome weather here.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaflyguy View Post
Well, my experience is a little different than others.
One year ago (almost to the day) I quit smoking. With a new found wiggle room in the budget, I was able to pick up fly fishing again after about a 15 year hiatus. That has allowed me more outdoor time and a positive health impact.
On top of that, I have taken to eating as few processed foods as possible and sticking to whole food options; organic when I can, and as much veggies and fruits as I can muster.
My health in general has improved dramatically and I have lost a few pounds to boot. Soon I will be exercising more and working on stamina, but even if I don't do that, I still am much better off than I used to be.
I work 11 hour days as a machine designer and have a hobby farm to boot, so I have a hard time scratching out time for the gym, but I figure throwing around 50 pound bails of hay and feed are almost as good as weights. HaHa

I hope everyone has a great fishing weekend! We are supposed to have awesome weather here.
Congrats on quitting, that is the best thing you could ever do for your overall health. A close second is what you are doing already also, fruits/veggies and stuff that doesn't grow in boxes and bags! I was VERY fortunate to have a mother who gardened and cooked FOOD every day of my life; Thanks Mom!

I'm also one of the fortunate ones who can "enjoy" a cigarrete or cigar without every getting hooked on them. I almost always buy a pack when I go on long fishing trips; just a tradition that my brother and I have. Neither of us smoke more than a couple packs a year but we always like the campfire, the river, and the smell of cigarrette smoke when the fish aren't cooperating.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

I get a lot of my exercise while I fish, via the kayak. I paddle 10-15 miles per week. With the river low and not much flow the last couple years I paddle as much as fish. For cardio, well my usual take-out is up a 45 degree hill for about 200 feet. Some of my fishing friends always ask with terror, "we aren't taking out at your place are we".

One of my responsibilities at work is shipping so that helps too.
Eating right go's a long ways to being healthy, not that I always do.