The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 03:19 PM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing & Fitness;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I'm also one of the fortunate ones who can "enjoy" a cigarrete or cigar without every getting hooked on them. I almost always buy a pack when I go on long fishing trips; just a tradition that my brother and I have. Neither of us smoke more than a couple packs a year but we always like the campfire, the river, and the smell of cigarrette smoke when the fish aren't cooperating.
I certainly cant blame you for taking part in the tobacco when fishing. If I could handle it, I would probably do the same. Now I really enjoy a good campfire...no risk of trying to smoke a log.
I'm very blessed to have a wife who cooks as good as my Mom did. I'm glad to raise my son in a house that is not all that different from the house that I was raised in. Anyway....that's a different thread all together.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I bought a good treadmill earlier this year. Hasn't done me any good. Apparently, you have to "use it" in some way for a benefit. The last exercise I got was dipping really hard ice cream. I'm getting stronger: Last time I bent the spoon. Seriously, I get winded playing cards. My gym called me last week and offered me a great deal to extend my membership. I said "Great!" "Where are you located?"
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself. At this point, if I take really good care of myself, I'll get sick and die. Really, I could go tomorrow. I hope I go tomorrow, I haven't gone today.
I do have a new work out plan. I moved the recliner closer to the big screen. I said, "that'll work out fine".
Thank you! Good night! I'll be here all week!

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Interesting that this thread should come up when it did.

Last year three of my fishing buddies (all of whom are 5 to 10 years younger than me) hatched a plan that we would go on a serious hike-in fishing trip early this year (I think we went in April). Well, I knew I wasn't in any shape to pack in a 90 lb. pack several miles over very difficult terrain with a maximum elevation change of around 1000 feet. When we came up with the plan I weighed around 193 lbs. and the short .35 mile hike we had to do up from our favorite canyon lake required at least 5 rest breaks, (elevation change approx. 600 ft.), 45 minutes, carrying at most about 40 lbs. It should be noted that I was a famous smoker of cigarettes and drinker of beer for a couple decades.

So I asked a couple trainer friends to help me out. I told them I had about 20 weeks to get in shape and that I had to really focus on "real" strength and endurance while carrying a load. As opposed to instant strength, such as a maximum bench press lift.

Another factor was the numerous injuries and re-injuries I had sustained over the years, specifically to my shoulders, lower back, and left knee.

In short, they came up with two weight training and cardio workouts of ten weeks each to be used one after the other that focused on strength and endurance training. I won't bore anyone with the details of the workouts, but I was told they are essentially modified old school fighter's workouts.

Well, it worked. The results were a net weight loss of 16 lbs., and I also probably gained 7 lbs in muscle. More importantly, my trial hikes of 3.5 miles carrying a 30 lb. load took an average of 2 hrs in the beginning. After 10 weeks I was carrying a load of 60 lbs. and finishing in under 1.5 hrs. By the time we went on our hike-in trip, I was doing the trial hike in under an hr.

The actual hike-in was challenging, but not difficult, and I found myself waiting for my buddies while they rested, instead of the other way around.

Oh, and that .35 mile hike up from our favorite lake? I don't take rest breaks anymore, and I've cut 20 minutes from my previous best time out of there.

Oh, and I drastically reduced my smoking AND drinking, which might have helped a lot.

I'm still on the PT, and surprisingly, I find that I actually like it now. Except the cardio. Cardio stinks.

But, the grin I get on my face when one of my buddies asks, "can we take a break now?" is worth every minute I've spent either on a treadmill or on a hike up some hill near my house.

Peace.
mcnerney and babalu like this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's a great story of accomplishment Rich. I relate well to the old injuries that haunt a fellow late in the years. I've got a regular laundry list of 'wish I hadn't done that' pains but I keep on plugging also. Even with the exercises I get I still suffer upper leg cramps after a day of wading against these currents. When you couple the wading with a few hours of standing at the console of our boat during the white knuckle rides on some of the back channels I run here you've got the perfect storm for leg cramps.

We are going to leave very soon for a creek that is just 51 miles from our boat launch but I know that tonight I'll have to spend plenty of time stretching those hamstrings and quads or it'll be a fitful night in bed.......

Keep it up buddy,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 PM

babalu is on a distinguished road

A few months back I started running to see if id be able to run a mile. Answer was not any faster than i walked it. Since I've quit a pack a day smoking habit, and last month ran on avg. 5 miles a day 5 days a week. Other than that I don't do anything with health or fitness in mind.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:59 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Shape? SHAPE? We don't need no stinkin shape!
Click the image to open in full size.

I'm donating my body to science fiction.
milt spawn likes this.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I have to do at least some form of exercise every day for the Parkinson's. I always go for a short walk and lift some weights. I fly fish quite often and it's pretty good exercise. Especially the casting. It helps keep me from losing muscle control in my arm.
babalu likes this.