The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Fly Fishing & Fitness;

Fitness; a broad and sweeping generalization for sure, but I'll ask anyway, how do you stay physically fit?

During the summer months here in Alaska I am on the go and worrying about whether I am getting any exercise is not an issue. Almost everything I enjoy about spring, summer, and fall, is requiring exercise in order to participate. During winter both my wife Nancy and I use a gym and when the weather beckons us to the outdoors we cross country ski. I'm convinced that staying in good condition is probably why I'm not too concerned with whether I use felt or studded rubber on my wading boots

Springtime brings fire wood cutting, general spring cleanup of the yard and land, the bicycles come out of the garage, and there are still a few trips to the gym just for good measure. Summer means rowing on many float trips, bicycling, and plenty of salmon fishing, and this trend pretty much continues until the snow flies again. When winter returns then we're back where this post started, the gym

What are you doing to get ready for another year of outdoor activity?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing & Fitness;

Ard: In the last six months I've turned over a new leaf, determined to get back into shape. When I first started I was struggling to do a mile on the treadmill. I joined the local Rec. Ctr and now get up at 4:15 each weekday to get to the Rec Ctr by 5 am and I do an hour on the elliptical machine and now I'm up to 4.4 to 4.8 miles in an hour depending on how the legs feel that particular day. On alternating days I cut the elliptical to a half hour and do a half hour on weights.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Like many outdoor activities, doing them is work out, even fly fishing.. walking in waders over rocks, well you guys know.. I havent done much latly but I used to do alot of 20+ mile kayak trips. Now days Im a mtb trail builder, which swinging big tools and gettign to worksites is also a beating. but its the reward after that makes it fun!

Click the image to open in full size.

I really dont like the 'gym thing' anyone able to ride a spin bike for more then 20 minutes with out goign bored... let me know. I would rather have fun getting somewhere or building something to get that work load.
Mike
Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
Like many outdoor activities, doing them is work out, even fly fishing.. walking in waders over rocks, well you guys know.. I havent done much latly but I used to do alot of 20+ mile kayak trips. Now days Im a mtb trail builder, which swinging big tools and gettign to worksites is also a beating. but its the reward after that makes it fun!

Click the image to open in full size.

I really dont like the 'gym thing' anyone able to ride a spin bike for more then 20 minutes with out goign bored... let me know. I would rather have fun getting somewhere or building something to get that work load.
Mike
Mike: I hear you there, but unfortunately for me I have an office job where I sit behind a computer screen all day. Not much opportunity for excercise there at work, that is why I have resorted to going to the gym, you are very fortunate to have the kind of outdoor job that you do that affords the opportunity for lots of physical activity, no need to get bored at the gym.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Walk to work 1.5 miles with lunch, water, gym clothes and a brick in my pack. At lunch I run a mile to the Hannam boxing gym in downtown Seoul and work out for an hour. Run a mile back to the office.
Walk home 1.5 miles with my loaded pack. Row 50 minutes on my Concept 2 machine each night. Three days a week I'll run 3 miles in the morning before going to work. Take Sundays off and spoil myself a little.
All the cardio is brutal but it keeps the excess weight off and my BP, HR, blood sugar and cholesterol are great.
Sorry about all the data but I'm pretty proud of being in good shape at age 47. You guys make sure you watch your diet. Eat lots of fish and vegetables.
Semper Fi.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
Walk to work 1.5 miles with lunch, water, gym clothes and a brick in my pack. At lunch I run a mile to the Hannam boxing gym in downtown Seoul and work out for an hour. Run a mile back to the office.
Walk home 1.5 miles with my loaded pack. Row 50 minutes on my Concept 2 machine each night. Three days a week I'll run 3 miles in the morning before going to work. Take Sundays off and spoil myself a little.
All the cardio is brutal but it keeps the excess weight off and my BP, HR, blood sugar and cholesterol are great.
Sorry about all the data but I'm pretty proud of being in good shape at age 47. You guys make sure you watch your diet. Eat lots of fish and vegetables.
Semper Fi.
Innes: Congrats! That is an impressive excercise routine you have going, I'm jealous, but at 65 that is probably going to be too much for me! You definitely haven't forgotten your Marine training. I hear you about eating lots of fish and veg's, that is part of my ne routine.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Oh yeah, I forgot the part about eating fish With February looming we are using salmon every week. It ends up in all sorts of dishes and I'll be cooking some today.

You guys are hitting it harder than I am. I use one of the elliptical machines for cardio exercise too Larry. I pretty much wore out my knees with downhill skiing for 30 years. It seems that everything I liked; basketball, tennis, handball, skiing, were all bad for the knees. They aren't shot but I quit all high impact activities back in 1997 when I began to suffer from inflammation after any real hard use of the knees. Bicycling and elliptical machines are great because there is no impact or lateral strain on the joints. I am lucky because the damage is not something that effects the ability to march through the bush for a day and I have a very normal life as long as I stay away from things that may cause problems down there.

I only do half an hour running on the machine and all the rest of the time using weights. I only go 3 days a week, sometimes 4 .

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I run two or three half marathons a year, as well as a local 10 miler and numerous short course races (5/8/10K). The training for those, combined with a 1.5 mile walk with my daughter to daycare and back 5 days a week, and some road biking when i can fit in pretty much keeps me in shape. That not to say i could lose a few pounds as i'm not always good with the rigorous training and have been known to do races on the fly without as much as short run at least a couple weeks leading up to it. Still. I think i'm pretty fit for my age (32)

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I sit in a chair at my cubical most of the day and eat whatever sounds good to me.

Then I go home to 2 German Shorthair Pointers that dont know the meaning of its raining, or its cold, or its snowing. So i then take them on a nice brisk paced 4.5 mile walk. On the weekends we will walk/hike up to 10 miles a day. I have been doing this everyday for over a year and a half now. I have maybe missed out on a walk/jog less then a dozen times in that time span. So anything lazy I do durning the day is very quickly burnt off when I get home. I have been using some free weights lately to keep my rotator strength up, it some how got weak and I injured it a few years ago. the light rods dont hurt bad but the 8wt tires me out really fast.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-18-2012, 03:57 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i workout at the gym. I hate cardio and do slim to none of that. Its all about the iron.