The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Our forum.

I'm sure others as well as myself have noticed the changes over time to "our forum". Once we were a small forum that had a lot fewer members, we almost always got along and there was only the occasional rare subject that came along that would draw only mild "friendly fire".

Times have changed. Our once small membership grew and our forum was purchased by a large publishing company with other fly fishing oriented forums....the once small forum became an International Forum with a huge audience, and from that exposure our membership grew exponentially. The new kid on the block became a teenager.

The reason I decided to post this thread is because the teenager is showing signs of growing into the next stage of life. This once meek forum has grown from a place where disagreements were rare, into one where it seems almost daily we have members involved in various spats.
I've been around different forums for several years and I know the bickering can be and often is commonplace on many, (I've done my share of rolling around in the mud) but NAFFF was different. It was my shelter in the storm.

This change is inevitable and will happen regardless of the best intentioned efforts by many not to let it. Subjects will arise that will draw fire whether they be environmental issues, equipment differences or even the use of strike indicators.
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone for this or that issue, only bringing attention to how much "our forum" has changed, subjects that would have been nipped in the bud in the past are now allowed to progress much further before action is taken, whether or not this is a good thing is yet to be determined.

Honestly, in some respects I'm glad to see this growth and change take place. Differences of opinion can be good, the expression of them, the listening of others opinions, and understanding why a person has developed their opinion can often times educate us.
Along with these changes come personal responsibility, it's up to each one of us to know when it's time to back away from a subject if we're too personally involved.

It's now up to us to determine where we go from here. Our little forum is indeed growing up.
Pocono and caseywise like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Our forum.

i have only seen two times in which spats have occurred and the elder forum member was in the right. One was a guy who only joined to sell a real and the member called him out of it and the other was a guy who was advertising his book on the forum . other than that the forum has been very peaceful and helpful to all.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Fysh, I totally agree with you... It would be nice if OUR members would practice a little self control when posting Their opinions. If someone posts a question about a style of fishing or tying or whatever, that doesn't go along with your personal tastes; remember it's their opinion, think twice about what you post. I may regret posting this; but, it's my personal opinion...

Dan
Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i have only seen two times in which spats have occurred and the elder forum member was in the right. One was a guy who only joined to sell a real and the member called him out of it and the other was a guy who was advertising his book on the forum . other than that the forum has been very peaceful and helpful to all.
I know exactly who those are. And I agree. However, there have been a couple others. One was a potstirrer who it was pointed out to me by my Canadian friend did it on a number of other forums using other names like Bluegill Bob. Mojo finally told him his style did not fit here and to go away and he stopped it. Then there has been a couple of times where someone posted a thread that was clearly political with an agenda. When called on it they either pout or continue till it becomes obnoxious. I hate those threads worse than sand in my eggs and they never should have been posted here in the first place.

Here is a short list of what annoys me;

Spammers
Politically motivated nonsense. None of which can be shown to be true. (This did irrepairable damage to the Spey Pages, as I have mentioned several times)
Wrong information that the purveyor refuses to stop spreading, especially when it wasn't even asked about. (One of them started off as a spammer also)
Potstirrers, of which we have one working as we speak.
People who act like a spoiled child when called on any of the above.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:25 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i've only been here for about 6 months, and on the UK sister forum as well in that same time.
I can tell you now, the difference between the two in terms of spats and such is unreal.
There is much more civility and less junk on this forum than any other i've been on.
I read pretty much EVERYDAY, not necessarily every thread, but at least the titles.
If it doesnt interest me i pass on it to the next thread.

This is still my favorite in terms of content and civility.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Come to think of it, I did forget one. Quite a while back we had a guy who was an unabashed meat hog. Basically said every chance he got that he never let a fish go. Hook 'em, cook 'em. He quietly went away it seems without being given to much guff. I think he must have realized he was pretty much alone in his quest to pack the freezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Politically motivated nonsense. None of which can be shown to be true. (This did irrepairable damage to the Spey Pages, as I have mentioned several times)
By the way, the longer this stuff goes unchallenged, the more common it becomes. The bolder and more abusive the thread posters become. There comes a tipping point from which it is almost impossible to turn around. I have watched it happen before. I have warned about it and find it a little more than annoying that it seems to continue. One who is doing it also qualifies as a potstirrer.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:57 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for opening up the conversation, Fyshstykr, and being honest about it. Disagreements are bound to happen. And it that is fine and healthy. It is only when the disagreeable call out other members and essentially scoff at, demean, or embarrass them on purpose that a line of civility is crossed.

I've been a member for a year or so, I thoroughly enjoy this forum, obviously, and all the advice, help, support, etc from all of the members. Obviously we all do not have the same aesthetics, same modes and methods of fishing, same reasons for it, identical political beliefs, etc., that is not possible nor would it be very interesting.

With that said, I hate to go here on this thread but I think it is the proper place.

Quote:
By the way, the longer this stuff goes unchallenged, the more common it becomes. The bolder and more abusive the thread posters become. There comes a tipping point from which it is almost impossible to turn around. I have watched it happen before. I have warned about it and find it a little more than annoying that it seems to continue. One who is doing it also qualifies as a potstirrer.
I respectfully disagree, Dan. Often times ignoring the "potstirrer" will be the best way to make them go away. I know it's hard, I am like you in that I have a hard time not speaking out on subjects I am passionate about, but I think the larger point of Fysh's thread is remind everyone to try to remain respectful of everyone's opinion, disagree respectfully and leave. You know that you are not going to change the mind of someone by going back and forth, anonymously, on a forum. All that does is stir the pot even more.

Just remember, that "politically motivated nonsense" makes complete sense to, and is very important, to other people. Neither person is 100% correct or 100% wrong. You simply have differing opinions. That's what this whole dang country is about.

But we all love fish and all love to try to capture them, to a point of absurdity to many outside onlookers. Is one group right and the other wrong? ...err...maybe this was a bad analogy- but you know what I'm saying...

Respectfully,
Old 01-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I respectfully disagree, Dan. Often times ignoring the "potstirrer" will be the best way to make them go away.
Respectfully,
I respectfully disagree. Had you seen this occur on the spey pages you understand what I'm talking about. One group of people started posting politically motivated BS. At first it was just a here and there thing. It eventually become the norm and as soon as anyone challenged them on it, the group came dowm on them like the hammer of God. It became an extremely uncivil place. It pretty much ended with members being permanently banned, others like myself just refusing to go there, and a permanently imposed feeling of hostility among the remaining people. What is even more distressing was that there were moderators that were as guilty as any in the bunch. Now is that something you care to see duplicated here?

Secondly, we have nearly 30,000 members, what do you think the odds of a pot stirrer being ignored are
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Just remember, that "politically motivated nonsense" makes complete sense to, and is very important, to other people.
And a much better place for that would be a site with those political motivations. It is devisive and in some cases outright inflammatory. It has no place here. Just remember, you can't have a fight if nobody starts one.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:41 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Dan, you are right, I have no idea what happened on the other site. I am not making reference to that but I am sorry it got shut down for reasons you cite. The last thing I wanted to do was stir any pots myself here, with this comment. Maybe I am misinterpreting, but it feels like you are getting agitated with this, so I am going to bow out now. To each his own. I did not mean to challenge you on this, was just making a counter point.

Quote:
Just remember, you can't have a fight if nobody starts one.
Nor if you just walk away.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

No I'm not getting agitated. It's just that I have seen it happen and I didn't like it when I did. I like this forum and don't want to see the same sorry mistakes happen here.
dean_mt and grassonfly like this.