The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 02:05 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Most Beautiful Fish?

Can't remember if I played here yet or not. So, I'll just add a few of my favorites. Unfortunately, like others I can't choose just one...

Largest and prettiest brookie I've ever caught:
Click the image to open in full size.

I'm in the background, but this is a nice bow my son caught on one of Idaho's smaller rivers. The bows in this river are the prettiest I have ever seen:

One of the most colorful cutties I've ever landed:

This one my son caught and photographed and it made the cover of this magazine:

How about this Henry's lake brookie:

Another nice Rainbow:

And then there are the browns...:

And one more cuttie:

Best Fishes,

Kelly
Joni, mcnerney, countr21 and 3 others like this.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I had to do it, had to bump this thread again. I've put a couple fish on the thread and looked at all the others. This picture may not show the best choices for hats and grooming but the fish; I killed that fish and it is the last King Salmon I've hurt for 3 years.

Since that day I've caught a bunch of them with some being bright as a chrome bumper but I haven't removed one from the water or even thought of killing another. I got one last season about that size but it was starting to turn, I'm hoping to get some big ones this June.

I caught that on the same fly that has given me a great deal of success with this species, the AK. Assassin on a standard salmon hook size 2/0. I've caught them on Skykomish and Thor as well but the Assassin just gets it done. For a sense of scale, I am 6'4" tall and weigh 220 pounds, it was in fact a big one.

That's my beautiful fish and I am sorry I killed him. Last year I took only sockeye for us to eat.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 PM

senor_denito is on a distinguished road

This Patuxent River brown that took one of my freshly tied pheasant tails last summer.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Wind River Range goldens I caught this summer

golden x cutthroat x rainbow hybrid

a pretty Wind Range brookie
Joni, mcnerney, madjoni and 4 others like this.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
Wind River Range goldens I caught this summer

golden x cutthroat x rainbow hybrid

a pretty Wind Range brookie
I sure would like to know where that is. PM me if you are willing. I have family in Pinedale which has the Winds in their backyard and I always wanted to get back in there. I don't hike so well anymore since the new hip and ankle fusion, but I'm up for a reasonable hike to catch that quality of golden. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
I sure would like to know where that is. PM me if you are willing. I have family in Pinedale which has the Winds in their backyard and I always wanted to get back in there. I don't hike so well anymore since the new hip and ankle fusion, but I'm up for a reasonable hike to catch that quality of golden. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly.
PM sent........
Old 02-19-2014, 06:34 PM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough

Those are some awesome goldens. Any tips on catching them on the fly? I tried a bit in the Winds this summer and got pretty badly skunked.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:46 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I don't take many pictures, but it has to be the bluegill. Most awesome marked/colored fish on the planet. However, in the trout world...I did catch a 5lb'ish brook trout that is my favorite memory. I have an old 'hard copy' picture of it in the net with net laying mostly in the water,,but you can see her pretty well,,might one day get it scanned. Was a very nice brookie. I never did lift her out,,,just plucked my fly, took a one 'shaky' hand picture,,and let her ease out of the net and swim away. The pic got the fish pretty good,,,I was so excited I didn't count on much of an image till I got it developed and saw it.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbomb View Post
Those are some awesome goldens. Any tips on catching them on the fly? I tried a bit in the Winds this summer and got pretty badly skunked.
Goldens can definitely be a finicky bunch. As Marcuson says in his Fishing the Beartooths book, "goldens are notorious for their stubborn resistance to a hook. In fact, many a golden trout lake was ruined because the complaints of no fish, followed by the stocking of another species and a resulting crop of hybrids." (BTW this book is a necessity for any angler that plans on wandering the Beartooth Mountains in Montana).

It took me a few years of fishing goldens before I even brought a single fish to the hook. But diligence has since paid off as I've netted dozens of sizable goldens in past few summers hiking in the Winds. It's a book that I reference often on the forums, and it's basically my bible...........If you're truly serious about hunting goldens, Rich Osthoff's book Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry is required reading. Just one look at the photos section of the book will leave you scrambling for the next half dozen summers.

As for any tips, Rich's book is by far the best reference material. My only advice is: just get out there and go exploring. You will always find your best trout well off the beaten path. Late.

Last edited by countr21; 02-20-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:57 AM

forgot about this shot, eh

This picture is one of my favorites. Golden beauty at its finest. Look at those frosty tips and rosy stripes!!!!
madjoni and plecain like this.