The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Moose Makes the Cut;

Great pics Ard....next time this guys comes...ask him if he's named Romeo...
Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
Out of curiosity I am wondering if you find their sheds very often?
From what I know they should be loosing them here shortly.....
Being you have so many running through the yard seems like you may get lucky and one could drop them on you door step for ya!

That's pretty sweet to have those guys running around outside your place..thanks for sharing

cheers,
Watson
I have never been so lucky. Out at the cabin there are a some really big bulls, I snowshoe a lot in the spring and always have an eye peeled for anything out of the ordinary but never found antlers. Maybe this year eh?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have never been so lucky. Out at the cabin there are a some really big bulls, I snowshoe a lot in the spring and always have an eye peeled for anything out of the ordinary but never found antlers. Maybe this year eh?
Ard,
With all those bulls running around you, you are bound to come across something before to long!

I have always thought it would be sweet to find one of those moose spoons you have up that way that you could use as a rocking chair! ha!

Although I realize it is some rugged terrain, I can only imagine the difficulty in finding them.

Like ya said, keep your eyes peeled!

To give you a better idea what to look for....As you can see.... they sure blend in.... and they are all shapes and sizes!

This may be the smallest moose "spoon" I ever found! Never the less a moose spoon.
Click the image to open in full size.

And even in the snow they are bound to hide from you!

I have been to Alaska a couple of times once where I spent three months, but for what ever reason I never did see a bull moose!
Probably a hundred or hundreds of cows and calf, but never a bull.....

I am pretty fond of moose to say the least so thanks again for sharing the pics, your a lucky guy!
Cheers!
Watson
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Watson,

You don't know how much I would like to find one like your second picture! If I found an antler like that I believe I would have to get creative. Maybe a hand made Bush knife with a big moose antler grip, that's a nice one

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Watson,

You don't know how much I would like to find one like your second picture! If I found an antler like that I believe I would have to get creative. Maybe a hand made Bush knife with a big moose antler grip, that's a nice one
Well like I said your are bound to find one like that before to long!

Someone is finding them out along that road where they like to hang out by your house, this time of year.
It's just a matter of being the first one to be there once they drop! Easier said then done......

I have found them on trails of all sorts, roads included! Not necessarily moose antlers but antlers in general....

I have also tried to get creative with a few antlers here and there but honestly they are pretty artsy all on their own. Belt buckles, knife handles, lamps, paintings and engravings are all things that I have played around with.

Cheers!
Watson

Hardyreels likes this.