The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things we learn the hard way

+1 for what Dave said about trying to get some rest! I've had "minor" back problems in the past and know enough that is not fun and yours sounds way worse than I can even imagine. You just can't move in any direction without impacting the back. I sure hope the doctors can provide some long term relieve.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I feel your pain Dan. It was only a year and a half ago that I had lower back surgery for a blown L4. I still have a bulging L5 that will eventually have to be fixed, at times it gives horrible sciatica pain running down my left leg, but nothing like it was before the surgery. Every 3-6 months I go in for steroid injections in my back, and they really seem to help a lot.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Dan, I went to the doc to complain about sciatica. He eventually Xrayed it, and asked me if I'd been in an accident. Turns out I had a malformed vertebrae since I was a kid and never knew. It was only half as tall as normal and all out of alignment.
Four years ago I had fusion and lamenectomy at L4+5. I didn't realize how much pain I was in till it was gone. Really 99% better.
Now the sciatica is coming back. Been putting off going to see the doc. Probably arthritis impinging on the nerves.
If I'd realized I was going to live this long, I'd have taked better care of myself. As Rodney said,"If I take really good care of myself, I'll get very sick and die". (and speaking of pain killers) "Really, I could go tomorrow. I hope I go tomorrow: I haven't gone today".

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 02-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your back JoJer. What have they got in mind for a second go 'round? Do they think they can at least get you out of pain?

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
Every 3-6 months I go in for steroid injections in my back, and they really seem to help a lot.
I tried that once about two years ago. It made my right foot burn. My leg acted like it was going to get up and go someplace on its own. Once it settled down, it was better for a very short time and then you wouldn't know they had done a thing. By short I mean like a week. It was not worth the hassle or the drive to Duluth to have it done. Maybe they just did it wrong, but it wasn't something I felt like trying twice. Although I might be able to be talked into it now. Friggin thing's killin me.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

So sorry to hear about your back Dan, that really hits anyone hard but especially people who are used to so much activity. Best of luck to you on getting a copacetic resolution. Thankfully I escaped my youth with only smattering of flesh wounds...some of them very deep, but they were all flesh wounds (and thankfully we get two sets of teeth!). BMX freestyle racing, trail riding and jumping was my downfall (pun intended). I think I ripped nearly every square inch of my original skin from my body at one point or another in my teenage years. Buried rocks so far into my hyde that minor surgery was required, bled out nearly to the point of passing out and needing a couple of pints, and eaten alot of tree bark from flying down wooded trails.

Things I've learned the hard way:
* Wear a wading belt
* It gets cold at night at 9000', even in july
* There are turantulas in Missouri
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Honestly, it's a wonder any of us live past about 18.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I tried that once about two years ago. It made my right foot burn. My leg acted like it was going to get up and go someplace on its own. Once it settled down, it was better for a very short time and then you wouldn't know they had done a thing. By short I mean like a week. It was not worth the hassle or the drive to Duluth to have it done. Maybe they just did it wrong, but it wasn't something I felt like trying twice. Although I might be able to be talked into it now. Friggin thing's killin me.[/QUOTE]

My very first injection only seemed to last 2 weeks, and to top it off, the doctor missed the spot and hit a nerve, talk about pain. I was skeptical after the first go around, but the pain was unbearable. The second injection went much more smoothly, he hit the spot on the first try, within 5 minutes after the injection, I had no pain in my back. From there on, each injection has lasted about 3 months.

These injections may be something to consider trying again, they sure as hell beat being in that amount of pain.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Not while you are in pain, but once you heal a bit, do stretches and some situps to help strengthen you stomach muscles. I am 53 and have had back pain occasionally and this is the one thing that helps me the most.

I could lose 20 lbs and I am sure that would help as well, but stretching the back and legs (thighs) keeps me active most of the year.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 AM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear about your back Dan,
there's nothing worse than back pain. Mainly because it just NEVER goes away....It might be a little less sometimes, but it NEVER goes away. Rest it up as much as possible, take the drugs so you can get that rest.
Springs coming, I'll be needing pictures of them stud smallies you catch!

Stan
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

d to drive a stick shift 40 miles home! ARGHHH!!
After several weeks of going through what you are right now (I couldn't stay in any position for more than 5 minutes max), with major pain meds and the Doc telling me to rest (HA!), the pain in my leg went away.
After that 3 things I did have finally gotten rid of 99% of my back pain. First, I got a soft mattress that I sink into. Second, I do 35 situps on an inclined bench every day and 15 back extensions. The other thing I did was lose 20# of gut!
Now, except for a little pain when I first get up in the morning, I am totally pain free.

I don't mean to suggest you start all that right now, but consider talking to your Doc about it when you finally get over this episode. You will get over it but it takes time! As one fisherman to another, I wish you good luck and freedom from pain!