The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things we learn the hard way

I'm no longer what you would call a Spring Chicken. I'm not exactly an old fart either, but some of the stupid things I did when I was younger and had the 'bullet proof' mentality have come back to quite frankely, bite me in the butt. Or more specifically, in your knees, back.......mostly just those. Well anyway, my back decided to go into full on screw Dan mode. I'm not sure where this is headed in the next few weeks, but the writhing on the bed like a night crawler on a hot skillet is not one I feel like persuing. So as an alternative, I went to the hospital where they shot me full of Morpine and Thoradol. It's a fun ride but the cost of the ticket is more than you really want to pay.

I have a knee that sometimes treats me like it's a vengeful enemy. I still don't regret the Motocross bikes that gave me the hatefull knee, but I wish I knew then what I know now, maybe my knee would not be such an annoying artifact of my past.

I have three fingers that other than little crumbs of bone, are void of bone from the tip to the first knuckle. I have a good story sort of related to that. I was having problems with my boat motor one day and had a couple in the boat with me. Don't ask me why I did such a stupid thing, but after about ten minutes of trying to figure out why my boat wasn't starting, I said to the women in the pair, " OK, hit the key." Unfortunately I was suffering from a serious brain fart at the time and was leaning on the top of the motors fly wheel. When she hit the key, my hand did a rapid trip around the top of the motor, and my middle finger went between the fly wheel and the starter gear. It crushed the end of my middle finger like a bug. I am one of those guys (Ithink it's hereditary) that need to be verge of death before I go to the doctor. Especially for a dang finger. But the lady in the trio was freaking out because it was ugly. So I went to the doctor. He looks at it, takes a couple of X-Rays. He comes in to the room they stuck me in and says "Which finger did you say you think you broke?" I tell him my middle finger. He shows me an X-Ray with the bone in that finger fully intact, but my index finger is just a collection of tiny bone fragments from the first knuckle to the tip. I can see why he was confused. I was confused as to how you can run a good portion of a finger between two gears and not crush the bone. Then the doctor tells me, "I think you have an extensor tendon injury. You know, the one that straightens your finger." I look at him with my best serious face and say, "Give it to me straight doc. Will I ever be able to flip the bird again?" I don't think he got it. Waste of a perfectly good joke.
Anyway, I woke up the other day and was barely able to make it out of the bed. I have had some back issues, and apparently I now have a disc that has decided to commit suicide and try and take me with it.

I have worked and played hard all of my life. I have done some very interesting things, not all of them have been what I would call old age friendly. To our younger members, I would say, all the things you are doing to yourself right now are going to come back one day, and be about as welcome as a fat mother inlaw.

If it seems like this thread is a tad rambling, it may not be you, I may in fact be rambling. When my back decided to attack me Germany going into Poland, they put me on some powerful drugs. Again, a fun ride but not worth the cost of the ticket. I'm just hoping that when the ice goes off the river I will be able to go fish. Actually I could fish now, I'm just not sure of the wisdom of wading when you are so full of drugs. Maybe a good life jacket and a tether to the shore. Backs are a really bad design. It's going to be interesting to see where this goes over the next few weeks. As long as I can stand in waders by mid April.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things we learn the hard way

Best advice your gonna get from any of us is REST. And after you think the back has had plenty of rest...Rest some more.

Dave
Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Best advice your gonna get from any of us is REST. And after you think the back has had plenty of rest...Rest some more.

Dave
That's a great bit of advice. The problem I have right now is I can't set. I can't find a way to lay down, and standing only works with serious drugs. Yesterday I would have sawed my right leg off for a rusty saw and a shiney new nickel.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Did the L5/S1 laminectomy thing back in 1984... Tried bed-rest for almost 2 months, with no positive results. Surgery was done in mid-September , and before the end of September, I was walking 1 to 2 miles per day. I was doing factory work back themn for my FT job, and I was able to return to work by mid-November. No probs with it since, so if they offer the surgery option as a "fix", it worked for me!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
if they offer the surgery option as a "fix", it worked for me!
I'm hoping that's what do with my wreck of a back. Yesterday I was in so much pain my blood pressure was just a tad below 'stroking out'. This is the most miserable thing I have ever had. I can't imagine passing kydney stones shaped like jacks could be any worse that this.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Dave gave you good advice ...you should rest,literally lie down and move as little as possible...
Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Face it Llyod Briggs....you ARE getting old. This I know. I'm merely a year behind you.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Man, my fishing induced allergy issues that sent me to the doc yesterday just can't compare.

Rest as much as you can and get well Dan!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

A big guy with a big mustache like you will soon be in better shape
I enjoyed reading your post Dan,not rambling at all to me....I was a kind of daredevil when I was young
Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Dan, hope the pain is subsiding a little.

You remind me of a day in the early 70's. By that time I had had my share of bad injuries and it was about 74' when after watching me ride my SL350 Honda out of sight on the back wheel my Grandfather approached me on my return to the house. He ask what I thought would happen if 'that thing goes all the way over on ya' I told him it wouldn't because I'm good at it. He told me that he was 75 years old and that if "you keep going the way you're going when you're my age you won't be able to get out of a bed".

I am still going but at 57 the ghosts of adventures in stupidity are visiting me more than I would like as well.

Good post

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;