The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   Classical Music (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/237708-classical-music.html)

grassonfly 02-08-2012 08:45 PM

Classical Music

I have developed a taste for sonatas in the past 2 years and am wondering if the forum shares my love. My favorite being the Moonlight Sonata first movement.

milt spawn 02-08-2012 11:31 PM

Re: Classical Music

I have been into classical for about five years, not anything in particular, just in general. As I write this reply I am listening to our local (L.A.) radio station online. Tonight they present the "Symphony of a Thousand", No. 8 by Gustav Mahler, but not until 10:40 Pacific time. milt.

Hardyreels 02-09-2012 01:27 AM

Hi Robert & Milt,

I have a collection of what I guess you could call the classical composers works. My favorites have always been anything Antonio Vivaldi but I enjoy many composers.

pab1 02-09-2012 02:34 AM

I always heard my dads classical music playing when I was a kid. I still enjoy listening to it while reading or tying. I think Johann Sebastian Bachs "Air" is my favorite piece.

grassonfly 02-09-2012 04:22 PM

This is the best. It is powerful.

darwin 02-09-2012 06:05 PM

Handel's water music and Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner (thanks bugs bunny) :D

darwin 02-12-2012 01:14 AM

Pocono 02-12-2012 06:29 AM

I've been into classical music for about 6 decades now (along with other music).

If you want power in a classical piece, then check out Mussorgsky's A Night on Bald Mountain

And if you can get ahold of the original version of Disney's Fantasia, then it''s all the more inspiring.

Also agree with darwin on Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries
]

Pocono

BlueDun 02-12-2012 10:19 AM

@grassonfly: I've listened to classical music since I was a kid (used to play double bass in various school and community orchestras). If you like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, try some concertos w/ orchestral accompaniment. You might like:

Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto #2
JS Bach's Concerto for 2 Violins, Strings, and Continuo in D minor (Double Concerto)
Brahms' Concerto for Violin in D Major
Tchaikovsky's Concerto for Violin in E Minor
R.Strauss' Horn Concerto #1 (w/ Barry Tuckwell or Dennis Brain if you can find one of their recordings)

Some other cool pieces (IMHO):

Beethoven's Symphonies #5 and #9
Mahler's Symphonies #1, #2, and #5
Mozart Symphonies #35 and #40
Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini
Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances
Shostakovich's Symphony #5

and adding choir to the symphonic repertoire:

JS Bach's Magnificat
Brahms' German Requiem
Mozart's Mass in C minor
Mozart's Requiem in D minor

bigjim5589 02-12-2012 11:07 AM

I enjoy listening to classical music. There is a radio station in Baltimore, part of Balto. City Comm. College, that I listen to often, especially when I'm out driving. Love the music & no commercials! :thmbup:

I can't say that I know much about it, but I can't say I know much about any music. With only a few exceptions, I couldn't tell you who composed what, or who performed it! My mind just doesn't work that way! Heck, I often can't remember what I did a few hours previous! ( Perhaps ADD?, I don't know! :rolleyes: )

Still, I can enjoy it! :D