The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Classical Music

I have developed a taste for sonatas in the past 2 years and am wondering if the forum shares my love. My favorite being the Moonlight Sonata first movement.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classical Music

I have been into classical for about five years, not anything in particular, just in general. As I write this reply I am listening to our local (L.A.) radio station online. Tonight they present the "Symphony of a Thousand", No. 8 by Gustav Mahler, but not until 10:40 Pacific time. milt.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Robert & Milt,

I have a collection of what I guess you could call the classical composers works. My favorites have always been anything Antonio Vivaldi but I enjoy many composers.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2012, 01:34 AM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

I always heard my dads classical music playing when I was a kid. I still enjoy listening to it while reading or tying. I think Johann Sebastian Bachs "Air" is my favorite piece.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

This is the best. It is powerful.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Handel's water music and Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner (thanks bugs bunny)

Last edited by darwin; 02-12-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:14 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Old 02-12-2012, 05:29 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I've been into classical music for about 6 decades now (along with other music).

If you want power in a classical piece, then check out Mussorgsky's A Night on Bald Mountain

And if you can get ahold of the original version of Disney's Fantasia, then it''s all the more inspiring.

Also agree with darwin on Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries
]

Pocono
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

@grassonfly: I've listened to classical music since I was a kid (used to play double bass in various school and community orchestras). If you like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, try some concertos w/ orchestral accompaniment. You might like:

Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto #2
JS Bach's Concerto for 2 Violins, Strings, and Continuo in D minor (Double Concerto)
Brahms' Concerto for Violin in D Major
Tchaikovsky's Concerto for Violin in E Minor
R.Strauss' Horn Concerto #1 (w/ Barry Tuckwell or Dennis Brain if you can find one of their recordings)

Some other cool pieces (IMHO):

Beethoven's Symphonies #5 and #9
Mahler's Symphonies #1, #2, and #5
Mozart Symphonies #35 and #40
Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini
Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances
Shostakovich's Symphony #5

and adding choir to the symphonic repertoire:

JS Bach's Magnificat
Brahms' German Requiem
Mozart's Mass in C minor
Mozart's Requiem in D minor
Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I enjoy listening to classical music. There is a radio station in Baltimore, part of Balto. City Comm. College, that I listen to often, especially when I'm out driving. Love the music & no commercials!

I can't say that I know much about it, but I can't say I know much about any music. With only a few exceptions, I couldn't tell you who composed what, or who performed it! My mind just doesn't work that way! Heck, I often can't remember what I did a few hours previous! ( Perhaps ADD?, I don't know! )

Still, I can enjoy it!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!