The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fire instructor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default VOTE for High School Stream / Watershed Project

As many of you now, the Northeast (in general), and particularly some of the best fishing habitats in NY, PA, VT, and NH were significantly impacted and damaged by Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee last fall. In NY, the Schoharie Valley was desimated with flood waters, severly damaging one of my favorite fishing locations, the Schoharie Creek. I spent several weeks in the Schoharie Valley as part of the NYS response and recovery efforts. The upper reaches and upstream tribs of the Schohare have always been great places to locate browns, and an occasional native brookie, while the more downstream areas are some very fun-to-fish smallmouth and walleye waters.

One of the local high schools, Schoharie High School, was in some of the most severly impacted communities, the Village of Middleburgh. While the school building itself is on relatively "high ground", most of the village was severly flooded, buildings and infrastructure destroyed, as homes and businesses were washed away.

Well, this high school has turned this disaster into a learning experience. The Agricultural Studies Department in the school has developed curriculum and is teaching these kids to learn from the storm. While much of what they are studying and learning is agricultural-centertric, it's also very stream-centric, and will likely lead to continued restoration and preservation of the Schoharie Creek fishing resources.

The school has now documented this study in a short (2-minute) video, and have entered it into a national contest, the Samsung "Solve for Tomorrow - Help for Children" contest. The video, and ALL of the finalist videos are available at the URL linked below. ALL of the finalists will win something, but I'm asking for help in making Schoharie HS's project the "Community Choice" Grand Prize winner.

Please go to https://pages.samsung.com/us/sft/video/index.jsp#top and register and vote. Yes, I'm predudiced to the Schoharie Project, because it's one of the places that I learned how to fish, I continue to fish there, and I was involved in the response, so any voting help would be greatly appreciated!

You can vote once per day, per email address, so THANK YOU, in advance, for any assistance!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VOTE for High School Stream / Watershed Project

just voted Rick
Old 02-11-2012, 02:19 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, JP! Here's the direct YouTube link for anyone who doesn't want tovote, but wants to see what these kids are learning!

Schoharie High School - YouTube

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 AM

Looking for some help here! The school that did the stream project is only about 200 votes behind the leader!!! We can overcome that with just a few minutes of clicks by the members here! So let's help the flood victims who are trying to learn from their stream and better protect the waterway!!!

https://pages.samsung.com/us/sft/video/index.jsp

Thank you!!!!

Last edited by fire instructor; 02-17-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Done.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Rick: I voted! Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 AM

Just a "bounce" to get this back into visibility. The high school stream project that I'm supporting is managing to stay ahead of a general electrical/mechanical/science technology project by 800-1000 votes, depending on time of day/day of week.

This is a stream that I fished, canoed, and kayked with both friends and my sons. Go to the Samsung website at https://pages.samsung.com/us/sft/video/index.jsp#top , watch the video's, and cast a vote.

You can vote once per day, per email address between now and March 12!!

Thank you for any/all support!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My vote is in Rick.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-13-2012, 07:33 PM

I just wanted to take a minute to say THANK YOU to all of you who helped in the effort on this! While Samsung hasn't officially announced any winners yet, the school that we were supporting, that did the post-flooding stream and watershed project, ,the Schoharie High School, appears to have won the contest overwhelmingly, by almost 14,000 votes.

And the BEST news out of the Schoharie Valley (for me, anyway) is that I was talking to a friend who lives there, and since the water levels are so low (for Spring) because we had such little snow, he's been out walking the stream, and he's seen some sign that there will still be some good fishing this year!

Thank you, again, to all who voted and supported this effort!
fysh likes this.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: VOTE for High School Stream / Watershed Project

Very GOOD news!
fae