The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default otter creek video project discussion

I am starting this thread so stlgeoff, gatortransplant and myself can discuss an upcoming project with out loosing info, ideas are welcome. Mods, if there is a better way to do closed group chats I will do this.

mike

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

I am going to work on a way to hang my gopro from a small trolly, would be a cool fly over angle, maybe even come out of the water and fly over the caster. I got soem work to do, this may not be doable right away. but ill try.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: otter creek video project discussion

I like the over head fly angle, I have some ideas of video of fish in the water with flies being presented to them, its kinda hard to explain without showing a diagram or clip, they do it in "once in a Blue Moon" a couple times, I make for very interesting shots. i replied to your PMs though

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

the trouble with getting the fish underwater is that there in no control, so ill all be a hit or mis. im hoping the 12 ft pole will make it easier to sneek up and get shots under water. then we just need to not get rain for a week or more prior,, if that happens we can try the above water shots. once my eom housing comes in Im makign a trip in the creek to test the view out.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The "fly-over" type shots sound AWESOME, we can probably hang cables over one of the better pools and give it a go. Plus it gives us an excuse to lock down the run Here's hoping the weather and the fish will cooperate. Geoff, if you're looking to stay overnight, I might be able to convince the fiancee to surrender the couch, as look as the hound is ok with sharing it, haha.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

I just realized this... if the fish don't cooperate, we have a number of options. First, we can go down to the mouth and get some river action, since it will be warming up. Mike, you're going to have to flex your DMV-connections-muscles, see if they'll dump some stockers in the day before, really help up out But even with no fish, we can still get some good footage (I'm trying to reverse-jinx us here...)

While you guys are at it, let me know what you think of this, having a go at the blogosphere...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15552339/Sal...Blog/Blog.html

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 PM

i was going to use a heavy mono for the trolley line, the gopro is light and it wouldnt show up easy, or maybe my spool of white cord will be better, I have some old legos.. yes legos that I can dig up and make a simple trolly to lower using a spin reel. If we do this on a wednesday will have un pressured fish with the creek being closed mon-tuesday. wednesday and sunda are my days off, AJ when did you think youll be in town next? Ill see whant I can find out if there is a planned stocking comign up, sometimes they stock and dont make it public. but man if we did go on a day after stocking, those pools by the parking area would rock.. like when i went out in october when the did the first stock of the winter,, it was like watching cattle, and any kibbel fly worked haha

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

heres an idea of why I got the eye of mine case for the gopro. I hope we get results half this good... if the fish are there we should get some cool stuff. I hope its overcast the day of to cut back on glare...
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hopefully we can fish Wednesday, March 14. Not sure if I'll be in town that day, but I think I will, I'll see if the idea flies with the fiancee. And yeah, that case is ideal for some of the ideas I was thinking of with the gopro.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Doing a wednesday is abit tricky for me, normal work is M-F, but I have vacation and can always work on the weekends to make up for it. Honestly my best chances at making this will be in mid/late March, after that its going to get worse in a hurry. Baby number 1 is due May 1, so after/around that time its going to be lots of close to home fishing IF I can get out.

It would just make MUCH more sense for me to stay overnight somewhere for this, i dont really want to get up at 4am, drive 4 hours, fish from 8-6 then drive another 4 hours back home. itd be much nicer to drive 4hrs, sleep, fish all day then drive back home.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-24-2012, 08:58 AM

I here ya, I hope the fish are active when this happens, I have seen days with low activity to crazy days.. either way is fun usually. I heard rumor that the area I took AJ on his first trip down has been active, I may try to check that out next week. Geoff Ill talk to the guy incharge and find out about camping, if you do I would too for fun.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Yeah if we can get a small camp going im down for that. march is a good month for camping

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 AM

being the start of storm season, it could be interesting, ill be at the park sunday so Ill ask. if we do that we could get on the creek before light. maybe catch a thick fog.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

since a weekend would be better fro you Geoff Ill ask about camping saturday night. sundays can get a bit more crowded out there but nothing really bad till it warms up alot.
MIke
stl_geoff likes this.