The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM

watson will become famous soon enoughwatson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hope this is the correct section (invasive fish research paper)

Invasive and Exotic Fish
Came across this just to throw more choices at ya, but still I don't think it is a comprehensive list by any means.

I agree with williamhj I think it would be an interesting perspective "for your paper to examine positives as well as negatives with invasives."

Also you asked "Is there anything else about these fish you feel would be good to put in this paper?"

It may seem silly to some, but I would be sure to identify "invasive" in your paper. In other words what is invasive?

I am still pondering on that question myself..better yet the positives and negatives of invasive species question.
Between those two question and the invasive species you have chosen you shouldn't have much problem getting your 6-10 pages.

Hopefully you are already started on your paper but for what it is worth my recommendation is to research and wright about fish species that you are most interested in. (Yes, I majored in the Obvious) Research different species that you fish for or ones that compromise a fishery that you enjoy and/or are passionate about. Get the straight up nitty gritty information from the local fishery biologist, DNR ect. That usually simplifies things for me, makes it fun and interactive. Better yet you are nearly guaranteed an "A" for putting in the extra effort for something that you are already interested in and want to learn more about.

Also, I would be interested in reading your paper once you are done. If you don't mind posting it or sending it my way I'm sure it would be a great read.

The never ending debacle of invasive species....
You have chosen a great topic!

Good Luck!

Watson
Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Ahhh ok, I actually didnt know the Squaws were native to the Columbia.

As of right now my list of fish is going to be: Snake Heads, Browns, Alskan Pike (pending information). Back ups if I cant find enough info will be Asian Carp, Cats, and lastly squaw fish.

I think I will start off just explaining what an Invasive fish is and what some precautions/actions are being taken to combat them.

Then I will go into detail on the specific fish and cover, Country of Origin, How they got to the US or the location they are now in, and what impacts they are having, and then slightly touch on the specific methods of combating them.

Thanks for the help all, I tried googling a lot of this info but the amount and type of information I was getting was frustrating

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Haha Ill Ponder posting it, If it turns out good I will but sometimes I have a hard time getting a paper to go and work the way I imagine it and want it too.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM

watson will become famous soon enoughwatson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
Haha Ill Ponder posting it, If it turns out good I will but sometimes I have a hard time getting a paper to go and work the way I imagine it and want it too.
Understandable
Good Luck!
Watson
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey, perhaps if you send it along before it's due you can get some feedback on content, organization, and style... There are folks here with a lot of knowledge and many of us have written our share of papers through many years of school.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Valid point William.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

If there is anyone that wouldnt mind being a proof reader let me know ill send it to ya, good or bad. Ive got one person I want to proof read it because hes very well versed in science and writing science based research papers but other than that its all me and my mom.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If there is anyone that wouldnt mind being a proof reader let me know ill send it to ya, good or bad. Ive got one person I want to proof read it because hes very well versed in science and writing science based research papers but other than that its all me and my mom.
I can do it for you. I worked in Fisheries, I like you and I can spare the time.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:28 PM

Thanks Diver Dan, if anyone else wants to just let me know.

I just got done reading a bit of the history about the brown trout and Ive got to say its quite interesting. I honestly had no idea some of the stuff the article was talking about.

Im still having issues finding some good articles about how the population of brown trout (or any fish) today is being managed. I know some fish have large limits or no limits at all and some sections of water have been poisoned, but I cant find quality information on the brown trout in general. Ideas? Right now im just hitting multiple DWNR websites and reading what different states are saying, but its not providing much.

Thanks a ton for all of the help guys!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 AM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

If you want I will proof read it.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy to as well if you'd like. Not trained in biology but wrote plenty of papers for my master's