The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Hope this is the correct section (invasive fish research paper)

Im starting on a research paper to finish off my senior year of high school. Im planning on picking 3 different species of fresh water fish in the US and researching a little bit about where they originated, How they got into the United states, and the impact they are having on the rivers/streams/lakes they are taking over. I want to try and pick fish from slightly different regions of the US.

If you guys dont mind Ive just got a few questions.

#1. What would be 3 good fish? I was planning on: Asian Carp(seems to be a big well known fish), (Northern?) Snakehead Watched a documentary on them), and the squawfish. Just curious if there are any other big well known species I'm over looking? Im worried about the Squawfish, I don't know if I can find enough information about it.

#2. Where would be the best websites to start looking for information on these fish? Ive tried google but I get overloaded with different State fish and game websites that all have good info but they dont have enough. Is there a government website or similar that will have the info Im wanting?

#3. Is there anything else about these fish you feel would be good to put in this paper? Possibly preventative measure taken to stop these fish from spreading?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hope this is the correct section (invasive fish research paper)

You seem like you're on a good track with the species. There are so many "invasives", it would be hard to narrow down to just 3.

As far as researching them, does your high school offer any type of research databases for the students? If not you might be able to go to the local library to see what they have. Finding valid, fact based papers will be much easier using that type of resource. Google will return a lot of... junk. Another really good resource for you would be to interview a fisheries biologist. They are usually more than willing to help out.

How many talking points on the papers do you need? How about talking about where each originated from, what type of damage they do to their respective ecosystems, and what preventative measures are being taken to stop the spread of them.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much an "invasive" but you may want to consider the brown trout which were imported after the brook trout populations were decimated by environmental degradation of the hemlock forests by lumbering and the tanning industry
And excellent book on this is Catskill Rivers by Austin M. Francis
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Do the species have to be foreign in origin? Here in Alaska we are having a big problem with the spread of Northern Pike. People have introduced them to lakes and rivers where they have historically never been found and they are wiping out trout, char, and salmon in these places.

If interested I can check to see what our regional biologist has for documentation of the spread, its source, and damages.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I second brown trout as a good option. They aren't native but have established well in many places. I've read stuff by Robert Behnke on it.

Rainbow could be good too, native to some of the country but introduced many, many places. An Entirely Synthetic Fish would be a good resource for the rainbow, would be worth reading to get background on stocking other fish like the brown too.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

No limits on origin or anything.

If there is enough info on the Pike in Alaska that would be awesome, I would like them more than the squaw fish. The squaw fish are also hurting salmon populations but they are really only affecting the columbia river area from what Ive found online, so something on alaska would be awesome if info is available.

There really no limits here I'm free to do as I please I just need to get the paper to about 6-10 pages. Figure 3 fish species 2 pages each sounds about right. Might have to do 4 species if I cant get enough with 3.

I thought brown trout were "good" fish. I was reading an article that said browns are pretty much the same thing as Cuts or Brookies and that when the native (cut or brookie?) population died out back east the browns were introduced and they have been able to maintain living there. Maybe I misread it though.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you around these parts again.

I think Rip is correct, consider doing the Brown Trout. The Squaw is actually native to the Columbia River, so it's not a good fit for your parameters.
The bigger problem for Salmon & Steelhead in the Columbia River System are the dams that impede their progress coming from and returning to their native spawning area's. The Squaw is only taking advantage of the situation thanks to the man made barriers.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post

I thought brown trout were "good" fish. I was reading an article that said browns are pretty much the same thing as Cuts or Brookies and that when the native (cut or brookie?) population died out back east the browns were introduced and they have been able to maintain living there. Maybe I misread it though.
Good or not they are still 'invasive'. Actually it could be good for your paper to examine positives as well as negatives with invasives.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

peacock bass, asian carp and snakehead.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget the invasive Flathead Catfish, or "Walking" Catfish as it's dssometimes called. There's been some detailed articles written about them in recent years.
Invasive Species: Aquatic Species - Flathead Catfish (Pylodictis olivaris)

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky