The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 01:10 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Computer Chat Thread, tech talk and so forth;

I'm following you Dan
That is pretty funny, he must have felt pretty silly to say the least..

I never have braved the "Black Friday" thing actually it usually makes for a good day of fishing, now that I think about it.

But overall it sounds like the spill on the key board ended up working out for the better! You got a great deal on new computer (that I am guessing puts your old one to shame) and you got a good laugh!
Hell I pay good money just for a good laugh!
Sounds OK to me

Peace,
Watson
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The hard drive project was a smashing success! The computer is just like it was prior to my changing the hardware except it is back to being Fast again! As my old drive was going bad things kept happening that made using the machine not so much fun, now it is acting like a duel core processor with lots of RAM and disk space should be acting.

What I use is a hp G72 portable, do most of you use portable / laptop units or desktop computers?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2012, 05:34 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

We purchased an HP Pavillion dv6 laptop in 2010 and it has served us quite well, except for the battery has taken a dive here lately. Nevertheless, I will never purchase a desktop computer again. The portability would be too hard to give up.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

We finally got a new desktop before Christmas. Nice Gateway With Windows 7 Intel Duo Core A5 processor, and it came without all the bloatware normally foundnon computers. 1tb harddrive, and I have a 1tb external drive that has all my music and photos on.
99% of my online surfing and posting though is from my iPad (first gen).Just like now. It's quick although no hd to save anything to, it's been working great for a couple years now. I do need to get a bluetooth keyboard though. A real keyboard would make typing a lot nicer.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

mojo,

I stink typing on the touch screen jobs............you'll like the key board.

Seth,

I used a 1986 IBM clone desk top until 2004. I only used it for documentation and formatting contracts so it was all I needed. Friends always told me that I needed to get into the new world and use the internet but the old machine did what I needed and I resisted. Then when I moved here the need to be able to connect to my old friends made the decision for me. I bought a hp ze4800 and still use it as back up. This one came on line in late 2010 and it was like a mussel car compared to my old one. I too am addicted to the portability issue..............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Ard,
At work I have the best of both worlds. I have a laptop with a docking station w/ 2 screens.
Still love the portability but trying to go back to one screen after using two can be frustrating.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-16-2012, 08:10 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I am a tech junky..... to answer your question, Ard--we have 7 cpus, a few desktops, and a few laptops.... this reply is being sent from my droid tablet and my wife is next to me surfing her FB from her iPad 2.....

We have a problem...... admitting so is the first step.

One laptop is my work stuff, one is hers, one is mine for ’play’, one more serves as a media server to plug into the TV/entertainment center downstairs. One desktop in the home office, one in the kid's play area--limited User profile of course, and one as media server for upstairs entertaining.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Btw, since there is talk of external drives here--- I have to say ssd's are awesome..... well worth the premium price tags.