The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Lightbulb The Computer Chat Thread, tech talk and so forth;

I'm thinking that this topic may get its own sub forum if it takes off here. Lets face it, we are all using computers and we all run into difficulties from time to time.

Here's my personal 'For instance'; I am writing this thread from my old backup hp ze4900 lap top computer because the new (18 month old) hp G72 lap top / notebook computer is installing system software to a new hard drive. I'm not much of a IT guy and changing out my own hard drive has been a major undertaking for me. What to back up and how......... Will I be able to recreate my old desktop without more gray hair......... What about getting my Outlook Express e-mail up and running again............. and on and on.

I know that we have some people here who are slick with both hardware & software alike and would like to see this thread or sub forum become a place where our members (including me ) can post questions and get answers. Of course you know I'm not talking about forum questions, they can be sent via PM to me or any other of the moderator and admin members, this is 'computer talk'.

How bout it

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Computer Chat Thread, tech talk and so forth;

Well Ard it sure doesn’t sound like a bad idea!
I could certainly see it coming in use and making for good conversation, time to time.

Although I can guarantee I’m not the most computer savvy person on here I tend to be learning more all the time and would be more than happy to help out, if and when possible.

Ard one of the best investments I have made lately is an external hard drive……. Backs up everything and then some
My Passport Essential SE
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here's a good subject for the thread. How the heck do you save your "Favorites" list to a disc? When I was talking to Ard I told him I did it when I got my new computor. I had poured a 16oz. mug of coffee through the keyboard of my last one, while it was OFF , and it still killed the keyboard reader in the computor. Not the keyboard, the reader.

Anyway, I saved my favorites list to a disc, and I did it without using the keyboard, which goes without saying. For the life of me I can't figure out how the heck I did it. Any ideas?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
OK, here's a good subject for the thread. How the heck do you save your "Favorites" list to a disc? When I was talking to Ard I told him I did it when I got my new computor. I had poured a 16oz. mug of coffee through the keyboard of my last one, while it was OFF , and it still killed the keyboard reader in the computor. Not the keyboard, the reader.

Anyway, I saved my favorites list to a disc, and I did it without using the keyboard, which goes without saying. For the life of me I can't figure out how the heck I did it. Any ideas?
While the computer and I have been hacking away at it for only a short time now, I have learned one thing and that is Google is your/my friend
How to Save Internet Explorer Favorites When Backing up Your Computer | eHow.com

What... the keyboard reader really.....
Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dan,

I have a 'Windows Easy Transfer' of my old settings running right now on the other computer. I used directions much like what Watson has linked to above. I was also able to move all my Outlook mail & contacts to a thumb drive and then import them back to the new hard drive. This entire process; changing the drive, installing operating software, Microsoft Office 2010, Photoshop Elements 10, and all of my documents has taken almost 3.5 hours.

Not quite a snap of the fingers but I'm almost done with it.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

It Worked!

I am now back on the hp G72; Woo Hoo

Everything is as it was with my old desktop and home page! Outstanding! All I have to do is finish installing some pictures and then I can put my old background picture on the screen and I'll never know this has all been done. Except that is for when the screen does not go black and the internet explorer failing, and the programs not responding, and the................ I'll be glad to have the new drive and be back up to speed

Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

congrats on the successful recovery ard, that stuff can be a real pain in the ynw
my solution to the insanity came about 6 months ago when i bought myself a gateway net book. as well as the computer, i purchased the norton security suite.
i only use the computer for internet (here and ebay), and some really basic photo editing (picasa). all word processing, music, and other stuff is done on our tower cpu.

casey

ARFE
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard, congratulations on getting the data migrated That's never a fun task and undoubtedly there is always a snag in the process somewhere along the line.

Great link posted by Watson, I have been doing that for years with company issued pc's as well as my own.

I'm using an External USB hard drive connected to my router which acts as network storage. This way I can access my files there from either of my PC's. When I do a backup, I just unplug it from the router and plug it directly into a PC since the transfer rate is faster. You can also get ones that connect via Ethernet if your router doesn't have USB.

Another tip to share...AVG is the antivirus software to have. I've used it for over 10 years and haven't run into any viruses that the software didn't first catch. You can get a FREE version, or paid for version with a security suite option as well. What I love about it is that compared to some of the other big names, it uses very little system resources.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Hi Jay,

I have been using the Windows Security Essentials on the new machine and have the free version of Avira on this one. I bekieve the Avira is AVG ?? Maybe not..... I took Big Brother out last year (N) for the last time.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
What... the keyboard reader really.....
Yes the reader. I replaced the keyboard, no change. I guess even when it's off there is still power running through the keyboard. Murphy's law of electronics, "It's never the easily replaced part that blows". It was an old computor and had started to develop a few glitches, but I had it for around ten years and loved it. It was a good one. The one I replaced it with was so much faster it was rediculous, plus it had a massive amount of memory in comparison.

I got the new one on a Black Friday sale when I went to my best friend from the Navy's house for Thanksgiving. That's actually a funny story in itself.

When I got down to his house I told him I needed to get a new computor. Told him how I killed mine with a giant mug of coffee. He said I got a flyer in the paper from Best Buy with a bunch of them. I looked and said, "This one right here is exactly what I want." It was a REALLY REALLY good deal to. He said, "You'd better see what it says for store minimums." I looked and it was like 8 or so. He then tells me if I want one I'd better get down there early. I look and see they open at 5:00 AM. I said "OK, I'll get down ther a bit before 5:00." He laughs and says "There's already people camping out down there. If you wait till 5:00, you aren't going to get one." I said "It's supposed to get down to almost zero tonight so I am not camping out down there. I'll get down there a bit before 5:00, and if I get one, I get one. If I don't, I don't."

The next morning I got up at O:dark30 and high speed it to the newest Best Buy in the Twin Cities. I hunt for 10 minutes for an empty parking spot and then get in a line a quarter of a mile long. Not joking. There was I'll bet you 2000 people in line in front of me. It wound all the way down the front of the Mall, the wound like a snake up and down the rows of parking. I'm laughing and telling the poor slobs I'm in line with, "You realize we aren't getting a thing out of there. By the time we make it in all that's going to be left is empty shelves and blowing tumble weeds." I seemed to have been the only one to have seen the humor in this situation. I told them, "There's more people in this line than live in my whole damn county!" It was a pretty accurate statement too, as there are less than 2000 people in my county, and that's about how many were in the line.

At 5:00 they open the doors and the whole front of the line does the wave. Nobody was doing the wave back where I was. It only took about 5 minutes for the whole crowd to bum rush the doors and I was in. I look up at the ceiling and look for the computor sign. I aim straight for it and find the first person in a Best Buy shirt. I ask her "Where do I get this?" and show her the flyer folded open to the one I want. She points at a line and says "Get in that line". I get in it and I am about number 15 in the line. There is a guy in front of me and he's shivering uncontrollably. Right behind me shows up another guy and he's shivering the same way. The guy in front of me says "I'm so glad to be in where it's warm. At least I got a voucher." It's a piece of paper with a number on it and they stick the same number on one of what he was there for. The guy behind me says "I didn't even get a voucher." The front guy asks "What time didi you get in line?" He replies "7:00 PM yesterday evening." I had to ask the front guy, "Well what time did you get in line?" He replied, "1:00 yesterday afternoon. What time did you get in line?" I look at my watch and say "About ten minutes ago." I should have asked for the surveylance tapes. If you could have seen the guys face.

I get back to my buddy Fred's house before it's even light out. I come walking in with the tower under my arm. He's up making coffee, and looks at me with this shocked look on his face and says "You got one!?" With my straightest face I say, "Yah, no problem. I don't know what you were talking about with that line thing". I kept that straight face for a grand total of about 5 seconds. Then I started laughing and told him the same story I just got done with here.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:01 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

you lost me already.
Rip Tide likes this.