The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default Nürnberger Rostbratwurst and German Potato Salad

Nürnberger Rostbratwurst

The small, thin bratwurst from Franconia's largest city, Nuremberg, was first documented in 1313; it is surprisingly small, being only 7 to 9 cm in length and weighing between 20 and 25 g. Perhaps the most popular sausage in Germany, the denominations Nürnberger Bratwurst and Nürnberger Rostbratwurst (Rost refers to the cooking grate above the flames) are Protected Geographical Indications (PGI) under EU law since 2003,[6] and may therefore only be produced in the city of Nürnberg, where an "Association for the Protection of Nürnberger Bratwürste" was established in 1997.[7]

Pork-based and typically seasoned with fresh marjoram which gives them their distinctive flavour, these sausages are traditionally grilled over a beechwood fire. As a main dish, they are served in sets of six, eight, 10 or 12 on a pewter plate (round but also frequently heart- or bell-shaped) with either sauerkraut or potato salad, and accompanied by a dollop of horseradish or mustard. They are also sold as a snack by street vendors as Drei im Weckla (three in a bun; the spelling Drei im Weggla is also common, Weggla/Weckla being the Nuremberg slang for Brötchen), with mustard being offered to spice them up to personal taste.

~Wikipedia

Click the image to open in full size.

Nürnberger Rostbratwurst and German Potato Salad

This kind of weather makes me yearn for a small town festival in the Alps!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Re: Nürnberger Rostbratwurst and German Potato Salad

Oh Boy!!! looks like a plate my mother would cook for me back in the day for dinner. Nothing like good German cooking and nothing better then a plate full of German potato salad.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default Re: Nürnberger Rostbratwurst and German Potato Salad

It's funny you posted this.
This past week was my annual four day river trip and a guy that always does it with me was talking about those brats.
He was stationed in Germany years ago and married a German woman so he gos once or twice a year.
Knowing that I make sausage from time to time he is looking for an authentic recipe.
On a camp out he is never without his can of German potato salad. Good stuff.