The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 AM

physiognomy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Electric or blade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
The other day at the store I remembered I needed some new razors... Holy Cow they were like $12.00 for 5 inserts!
Blood sucking theives! I wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole... If you have to stick with cartridge razors, check out Dollar Shave Club. Their advertising is hilarious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
... heaven forbid I may go old school and pick up a single blade handle and try that route.

What do you use and why? Cost?
I can strongly recommend the old school wetshaving route and encourage you to look into it further. You will get noticeably better shaves with less irritation, spend way less in the long run (my favorite blades are 18c each), and might even find out that you enjoy shaving or at least find it relaxing. Crazy, I know...

My lifetime razor - Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Safety Razor ($40ish)
Blades - Red Pack Personna ($17.99/100)

I often use this setup with some (brushless) shaving cream from Trader Joes & find it does a fine job. You will definitely want to skip the goo in a pressurized can & there are many good/cheap options in the way of shave cream & soaps. Taking this next step from brushless creams means you'll need a shaving brush.

Brush - Edwin Jagger Medium Best Badger Hair Shaving Brush ($40ish). This will last a long time (decades?), but check out the Van Der Hagen Premium Shave Set at Wally world for a cheaper starter option.

There is a ton of great info about old school wetshaving online... Badger & Blade - Home is a good start, as are mantic's videos on YouTube - mantic59 - YouTube

Hope that helps!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

Hot shower.... Bic sensitive....hair conditioner......DONE! Works like a charm. It might not be the greatest, but I don't care.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Gillette Pro glides razors are pricy, but the more you buy, the better deal it is. Plus those babies really take face hair off.

They claim to have made them last a month or longer now. I don't shave that often so they are great for me, but they really are a good razor.

I have an electric razor that I like, but don't like using it if any hair gets to long just because it pulls. Electric is great for a 5'oclock shadow but much longer and it starts to pull. And that's even with a pretty nice one. The trimmer/clipper on the back is always a nice feature though.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Fysh...I was terrified when I saw the title of this threadthough you were asking if we prefered the electric chair or the " guillotine"http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillotine
I'm with Ard once morethat's funny we have many things in common...except the mustacheGot a Braun 7000 series too and I'm very satisfied...I change the grid every year.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:32 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I've got a Braun 4000 series I think. I dont really know off hand. I HATE shaving but I get too hot in the face to have a beard year round so I trim it up. I cant do the steel blade razors unless I want to turn my face into a giant red flowing art project. i tried a few times but after everything was bleeding I gave up. The electric is alright, I just dispise shaving since it comes back by the end of the day anyway

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My father had a Braun like Ard's. It was the cleaning solution where they stung ya. After he died I gave it to goodwill rather than use it myself.
I couldn't afford the up-keep
Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Paul, you must be shaving too often You can use plain alcohol to refill them with if you look to curb cost.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Must have been a different model then. This one had cartridges of the cleaner.