The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default books

Anyone read any good literature lately? I've been going through a book filled with short stories from Earnest Hemingway.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: books

"Ship of gold in the deep blue sea" by Gary Kinder

Absolutely fantastic read.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
Anyone read any good literature lately? I've been going through a book filled with short stories from Earnest Hemingway.
Perhaps the most read in my entire library is my Hemmingway's short stories. I'm a philosophy reader so much of what I read is neither interesting or entertaining to most people; many times myself included. The last thing I finished was a Robert Kane's "Free Will". Excellent if you're game for philosophy literature.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

"haunted" by chuck palahniuk
good read

casey

ARFE
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Read the Civil War trilogy by Gingrich (yes that Gingrich) and Forstchen. Starts positing that Lee acts differently at Gettysburg and follows an alternative history of the war from there. Very interesting, though in the end many people die and the still South loses the war. Fascinating reading about the Civil War; the valor and virtue of many in it as well as the hellish conditions and battles. An important part of our history in the US.

On a side note, when I'd read about them crossing streams I'd find myself wondering what might be in the water.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
On a side note, when I'd read about them crossing streams I'd find myself wondering what might be in the water.
Funny you mention that! I'll be in Emmitsburg, MD (about 5 miles south of Gettysburg, PA) at the Emergency Management Institute / National Fire Academy, for more than a week later this summer. I plan on bringing my rods, and maybe hitting Marsh Creek in Gettysburg, Tom's Creek in Emmitsburg, the Antietam Creek in Sharpsburg, MD (through the battlefield of the same name), and maybe some of that trophy trout water in Big Hunting Creek, in Catoctin Mountain Park (near Camp David).

I was daydreaming about those boys, in both blue and gray, who came across these creeks in the early 1860's, who much rather would bave been carrying a fishing rod than a musket.....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
I was daydreaming about those boys, in both blue and gray, who came across these creeks in the early 1860's, who much rather would bave been carrying a fishing rod than a musket.....
And rather be wearing a fishing shirt than those wool uniforms. If you get to do some fishing let me know what Lee, Longstreet, and Chamberlain would have caught if they could have done some fishing.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading Bergman's Trout.
I picked up a copy in February and it's been sitting on my coffee table ever since.
After following s fontinalis' thread Classic Wet Flies, I figured that I better get busy
Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I just re-read Seabiscuit and will again someday. It's the most exciting history book about the 20's and 30's you'll find.

Amagansett by Mark Mills
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

im reading the snows of Kilimanjaro right now.