The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 AM

googoo is on a distinguished road
Default Getting started

Hello all. Im new to the forum and would like to say greetings! My question is: I have a pretty cheap fly rod that I plan to use to get acquainted with fly fishing (never been before)..once I get better at it then I will invest in better gear...I need to know-soup to nuts- what I need to get started and hit the river..Im going to be doing mostly river/stream fishing, although I do plan on hunting for some Pike down the road. My current rod is an 8 wt...like I said it's a basic set-up....I need to know how to rig it....type of line,leader?...how to do it?..taper?..how doesit go?.....types of flies for salmon/steelhead fishing...and if you know New York state..maybe a few good spots to try..(adirondacks)...(catskills)...heard Roscoe,NY was a world class spot..??..My exact set-up: Black Eagle by Eagle Claw 8'6 line size 8..reel is a Pflueger Medalist 1494 AK. All help,pointers, and tips no matter how insignificant you may think they are will help me...November is close and I plan on starting in the next couple weeks...thanks, Sean
Old 10-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting started

I'd recommend getting a SA Headstart line or a Cortland 333 in a WF8F. You'll also need to put some backing on the reel first, and I'd get a 7-8' 2x leader.

For TONS of other info pertinent info, try using the search feature with the terms, "beginner", "getting started" or similar terms. You'll find lots more useful info than any one thread can contain.

An 8wt rod will do well for Salmon, Steelhead, Pike and other large species, but is not a very good match for trout. A 4 or 5wt rod would be much better suited to trout fishing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

An 8wt. for Streams/Rivers?! Wow! Maybe if you are fishing for Steelhead.
I hate to say it, but if you want to enjoy FF specially rivers, you might wanna think about a 4wt or 5wt rod/reel.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Joni is right. Get something you will be able to feel the fish on and keep the eight for the BIG stuff.

Also, while I am the notorious one here for pro-cheap gear, I have to say that you might find a HUGE difference in the learning curve by just getting a little better rod. The reel is fine. Wouldn't worry about that but if you can, check out the Redington wares. They have a new $59 rod that casts very, very nicely. It would make the learning time much more pleasent and productive.