The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severe electrical event

Well I took the computer into the Geek Squad at Best Buy. I pulled the side off and said I thought the power suply bought the farm. They tested it in under three minutes. It was the power supply. The new one is on sale for $39.99. I'm going back to my Motel room and install the new one now. I wish I had brought the other one now. I hate to say it but the way it's acting I don't think it's going to be as easy a fix.

I also found out that surge protectors are only surge protectors for 2 or 3 years, then they are glorified outlets. That's why none of them tripped. They are all about ten or better years old. I spent more on electrical protection than I did to fix the dang computer. But it's a step in the right direction.

I can live without the second computer. I just use it for 2 programs that were not compatable with my new one. An awsome photoshop and the lakemaster map of Lake of the Woods. I may need to figure something out with that one. I'll miss the photoshop as well. Then there's the VHS, which let's face it is a dead technology. I may just give it a decent funeral.

Moral of the story, if your surge protectors are old, replace them.
I learned the hard way.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Well I took the computer into the Geek Squad at Best Buy. I pulled the side off and said I thought the power suply bought the farm. They tested it in under three minutes. It was the power supply. The new one is on sale for $39.99. I'm going back to my Motel room and install the new one now. I wish I had brought the other one now. I hate to say it but the way it's acting I don't think it's going to be as easy a fix.

I also found out that surge protectors are only surge protectors for 2 or 3 years, then they are glorified outlets. That's why none of them tripped. They are all about ten or better years old. I spent more on electrical protection than I did to fix the dang computer. But it's a step in the right direction.

I can live without the second computer. I just use it for 2 programs that were not compatable with my new one. An awsome photoshop and the lakemaster map of Lake of the Woods. I may need to figure something out with that one. I'll miss the photoshop as well. Then there's the VHS, which let's face it is a dead technology. I may just give it a decent funeral.

Moral of the story, if your surge protectors are old, replace them.
I learned the hard way.
Dan: Interesting fact on surge protectors, I would guess that most of us are in the same boat! Thanks for the heads up and I feel your pain in loosing Photoshop.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back fom Duluth. I'm on my own computer again. It's a fix on this one anyway. One down and one to go. I may abandon all hope for the VHS.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I had some similar problems from a lightning strike across the street, about 40' away. It didn't cause any circuit or surge trips, but the computer shut down-I was on line at the time. Some sort of EMP, I guess. Big purple flash-BOOM right outside the window. I about cr*apped.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Whole home surge protector at the panel, that's the ticket!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

Well I'm still finding damage from the lightning strike. It fried a bunch of the wiring in my heater. I found one part of it a few weeks ago when I did a load of clothes in the washer. The spin cycle after the first rinse shook the house enough to make contact between the metal case for the heaters wiring and the bare metal coil in the wire nut that had the side blown off of it in the strike. I did not find it right away either. I first just scratched my head wondering why the washer did not do the second rinse and spin. Tossed the clothes in the dryer and went back to what ever it was I was doing. When the buzzer on the dryer went off I put the clothes on the bed and went to turn on the TV in the bedroom while I folded it. I hit the on button on the remote and tripped a bunch of breakers. Imagine my surprise. I started to try and find the problem at this point. I could not reset the Washer/Heater breaker. Dead short. The only things on that circuit are the washer and the heater. I looked in the box for the washer. Looked good. I looked in the heater and found the offending wire nut. I fixed the problem and thought that was it. The other day I had the heater do a weird BANG!. It was enough to knock the picture of Babe Winkleman, autographed, from my tackle room wall. The next night the heater stopped altogether. I did some more looking. I pushed on a wire where the wire nut had been and I got arcing and sparking and the heat started. and then stopped. I then turned the on/off switch to off and the heat turned on. I looked at the bottom of the switch and one terminal was at a really odd angle and then I noticed it had been blasted as well. In that one little box it blew the side off of a wire nut, blew a hole in the black wire's insulation where the wire clamp is, and blew the heck out of the on/off switch. That made the heater do a 'stall' refire. It took unburned gas and put it up in the heat exchanger and then reignited. When it did, the gas in the heat exchanger exploded and swelled the heat exchanger out a bit. My heater guy says it is no longer safe and for a mere $3100 I can replace it. Now I am kind of wondering about the rest of the wiring in the house. I'm going to have an electrician look it over. That's three times I have been whacked by lightning since I have moved here. Lost a phone each one of them. Damaged three computors, one permanently. A VCR. Did a weird thing to a TV you would not believe. I need to figure out what Gypsy I made mad. Most annoying. On the bright side, my home owners insurance should cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
the house I grew up in was hit with lightning several times
Annoying isn't it? What I don't get is that it seems to miss the neighbors. Last time I was on the roof I didn't see a target painted on it. I am going to put up a lightning rod though. Three times is enough.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Dan, if you are interested, let me know about this. I can probably work out a deal to get you a REALLY good deal on a whole house surge protector ( like wholesale/distributor pricing ). It installs in the main electrical panel box with a dual pole breaker, 30 amp.I have one on my house, and we have one on the house I grew up in. They are pretty easy to install too, you could do it yourself.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-09-2012, 12:36 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Lightening strikes to the house are always bad news, had a strike at our house late one night. Fortunately I went upstairs and checked on everything, as one phone was sitting on the wood floor, was on fire and had already started to char the floor.

Dave
Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Lightening strikes to the house are always bad news, had a strike at our house late one night. Fortunately I went upstairs and checked on everything, as one phone was sitting on the wood floor, was on fire and had already started to char the floor.

Dave
Wow! Lightning sure does hate phones doesn't it. I have not had a single strike that didn't kill the phone. I have had a couple die when it's really cold up here to. It takes pretty much all the moisture out of the air, I have carpet and I'm a pacer. Bad combo. I had a spark whack me in the lip and kill the Mic. Had one hit me in the ear and kill the ear piece. Actually had that happen twice. I started spraying woolite and water on the carpet when it gets really cold and it stops the static.

stl_geoff, I may take you up on that. I'm pretty sick of the lightening thing. Even if I do I'm still putting up a lightening rod. I must be setting on some sort of mineral ridge or some dang thing. I have the highest tree in the area so you think that stinking thing would help me some buuuut noooooo! Worthless tree.

My insurance guy had lightening hit in his yard when he was a kid, shoot a basketball sized ball lightening through the house and make their radio a one channel reciever. That was kind of cool..
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Dan.
Bad news,as stl geoff has mentioned The Surge protectors aren't that efficient,they don't always work,there is always warnings advising people to disconnect all Electronic Gear during Electrical Storms,we have quite a few Electrical storms over here also,over the past 6 or so years I've had 3 or 4 Power Supplies fail,not all from Power Surges.
There is a Power Supply tester available for about $10-$20.
Brian