The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   Severe electrical event (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/271104-severe-electrical-event.html)

Guest1 04-29-2012 03:28 PM

Severe electrical event

I had some sort of event that has killed both of my computers and my VHS. It may be a while before I get back on here a lot. Bummer man. :mad:

My main computer just does not turn on and I hope it's a fuse or something simple. My other one tries to turn on but does bizarre stuff. The VHS is out and acts like it has no power. Hoping it's a fuse as well.

What really annoys me is that all of this was on surge protecters.

williamhj 04-29-2012 03:42 PM

Re: Severe electrical event

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they are fairly easy fixes, but it's still a pain. we got some nice surge protectors for our pricey electronics. I trust they'll work...

Hardyreels 04-29-2012 04:25 PM

I know how bad that could be when you live somewhat isolated from the rest of the world Dan, here's hoping.

Ard

fire instructor 04-29-2012 05:00 PM

Sorry to hear. Hopefully it will be a quick (and inexpensive) fix!

Guest1 04-29-2012 05:23 PM

I have to go to Duluth tomorrow. I'll take the main computer with me. If I can get that fixed I can live with the rest for a bit.

Davec921 04-29-2012 06:33 PM

Ouch that is a bummer Dan.
Were the surge protectors tripped at all?
Do you know if you had any transformers blow up around or close to your house? If one did that is an option as to why they could be messed up an the surge protector not have tripped.

Hope you can get them fixed.
later
DAVE

mcnerney 04-29-2012 09:02 PM

Wow, that is really unusual considering that they were on surge protectors. At any rate, I definitely feel your pain! Good luck with the repairs.

caseywise 04-29-2012 11:24 PM

sorry to hear that dan:( i hope you get it figured out soon;)

casey

stl_geoff 04-30-2012 09:17 AM

The problem with the surge protectors is that they have to encounter a certain level of surge before they will trip out. Sometimes that will be enough to fry the components. I would be willing to bet that with both PCs it is atleast the power supplys on them that are fried. They are easy to replace and relatively inexpensive.

For true surge protection, you should be multi level. Have a surge protector on the electrical panel in your house, then use them at sources to cover everything. Sorry to hear about the lose of equipment, the house I grew up in was hit with lightning several times so we had to really step up the power protection

jpbfly 04-30-2012 09:39 AM

:(bummer Dan....two computers and a vhs out...that's bad luck:(hope the bill won't be too expensive;)