The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Severe electrical event

I had some sort of event that has killed both of my computers and my VHS. It may be a while before I get back on here a lot. Bummer man.

My main computer just does not turn on and I hope it's a fuse or something simple. My other one tries to turn on but does bizarre stuff. The VHS is out and acts like it has no power. Hoping it's a fuse as well.

What really annoys me is that all of this was on surge protecters.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severe electrical event

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they are fairly easy fixes, but it's still a pain. we got some nice surge protectors for our pricey electronics. I trust they'll work...
Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I know how bad that could be when you live somewhat isolated from the rest of the world Dan, here's hoping.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear. Hopefully it will be a quick (and inexpensive) fix!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to go to Duluth tomorrow. I'll take the main computer with me. If I can get that fixed I can live with the rest for a bit.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about

Ouch that is a bummer Dan.
Were the surge protectors tripped at all?
Do you know if you had any transformers blow up around or close to your house? If one did that is an option as to why they could be messed up an the surge protector not have tripped.

Hope you can get them fixed.
later
DAVE
Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is really unusual considering that they were on surge protectors. At any rate, I definitely feel your pain! Good luck with the repairs.

Larry
Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

sorry to hear that dan i hope you get it figured out soon

casey

ARFE
Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The problem with the surge protectors is that they have to encounter a certain level of surge before they will trip out. Sometimes that will be enough to fry the components. I would be willing to bet that with both PCs it is atleast the power supplys on them that are fried. They are easy to replace and relatively inexpensive.

For true surge protection, you should be multi level. Have a surge protector on the electrical panel in your house, then use them at sources to cover everything. Sorry to hear about the lose of equipment, the house I grew up in was hit with lightning several times so we had to really step up the power protection

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

bummer Dan....two computers and a vhs out...that's bad luckhope the bill won't be too expensive