The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 05:41 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nikon D5100 for a first DSLR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Lots of good input already but here is another option for you: If you plan to carry the camera with you during FF sessions, the dSLR+lens combo can be heavy / unwieldy. I have been an advanced amateur photographer for a while and shoot the Canon 7D as my main body. I love the camera but rarely use it during my fishing sessions. With the body and one of my L lenses, the outfit becomes super heavy around my shoulder. I only carry it if I am going with a friend or my wife. That way, they can fish while I shoot.

You might want to consider one of the advanced PS cameras (Canon's G series or the S100). DPreview is a great comparison site for cameras. The S100 has dSLR mimicking quality in a much smaller package. It also allows you to shoot RAW. Nikon also has their counterparts. Alternatively, the new mirror-less interchangeable lens cameras (Olympus, Fuji etc) are also a great option.
Very good point Mysticm. A point and shoot that will shoot RAW...That is what you are gonna want for portability, and manuverability in PP.....Excellent

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

If you want a good deal buy a refurb from Adorama. I bought my XSi from them a few years ago and when I got the camera it had 15 clicks on the shutter and I got it for like 150 bucks off retail.

refurbished by Nikon : Buy or Learn at Adorama

Just remember whatever you buy now you will probably stick with for the rest of your life. It becomes really hard to change from Nikon to Canon once you have built up a fleet of lenses (even if they arnt that expensive it's hard to justify rebuying them again).

It also helps to look around on sites like DPReview and Fred Miranda at what bodies people use for the type of photography you want to do.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:50 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

To be honest. There's not much difference between the 3100 or the 5100. Now, I have the D7000. Known as the "prosumer" level. Too good to be consumer and not good enough to be pro. So, the 7000 does some things that the 3100 and the 5100 will never do. More MP, better computer/sensor/mirror=more crisp and clear pics. Also, you can shoot HDR with the 7000 and not with the others. It has 2 memory card slots that you can designate for back up or overflow or video. I don't use the video but could not afford to bump up to the D3. It also shoots up to 7+frames per second with the extended grip battery. It is also GPS compatable and WiFi compatable. The wifi is sweet. Click the pick and it can be uploaded straight to your online account if you have access to a router. nice feature to not bog up your memory. The camera is often held back by a slow card so spend the money on a nice memory card. 1GB/s cards are around 200 bucks for a 8 or 16 GB capacity. speed is everything and so is light and ISO, oh yeah ISO up to 24000 and you can shoot in RAW which is noce for photoshop and other higher level editing.

You can get by with the 5100 but with the features you get in the 7000 its worth the bump up. Worried you cant use the features? No problem. If you have a smart phone you can download the Nikon user app for the 7000. It tells you what to se tthe camera at for each use. Nice
Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 AM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

yeah i definitely recommend prosumer bodies over the consumer level slrs on the market. My XSi is nice but go pick up a 60D or even a 50D and you can instantly tell the build quality of those cameras are much higher.