The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 07:26 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default A Sad Day

So I was in the Ft Myer liquor store, the Vineyard, and couldn't find my usual Johnny Walker Green Label. I asked one of the clerks where it was and he said it was being discontinued and they wouldn't get anymore. I was about to explode and declare jihad when I realized I'd better look into this before losing my cool. Anyways, I made it home, googled it, and found out that on Jan 2012 it was announced that Green Label JW would be discontinued. Yes I'm a little late reporting this but the drinking of scotch is not a main stream topic so, I'm behind the power curve on this one. And for those of you who may think I'm over dramatic, there are some of us who really look forward to our ritualistic end-of-day scotchee. I mean it's the way we end our day on a good note.

Anyways, I'm in a dilemma on where to go. I've tried the other JW brands but they are just not the same. I'm thinking I need to up my game and go single malt like Glenmorangie but I don't like the peaty flavor. Anyone try this brand? I could use recommendations so I can get back into my battle rhythm. Thanks guys.

I feel like someone peed in my favorite fishing hole.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:59 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: A Sad Day

Jack Daniels for me!...cheap, tasty, and classic.

Try the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Innes,
Sorry to hear of your loss.

When I first tried the "Scotch Thang" it was Glenmorangie and I thought how in the world can people drink this. I gave the bottle away. Luckily later on a relative introduced me to Glenfidditch which I do enjoy, and my Scotch of choice is Glenlivet 12 which is as smooth as mrs fysh's legs.

In all fairness I should give Glenmorangie another chance, along with the many other fine bottles out there but for now it's Glenlivet. Give it a try.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 07-15-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. Last night I bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and a bottle of Cragganmore. They were good but they just didn't hit the spot like JW Green Label. I'll have to keep trying. Glenlivet will be next. vr

Last edited by innes; 07-15-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Seeing I'm half Scotch I also don't mind a wee drop of Chivas Regal,Dimple or Glenfidich as well,whilst we were away Fishing a few weeks ago a friend produced a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label,it was also a nice wee Drop..
When my Irish Fishing Mate was alive we on many occasions drank Paddy & Jameson Irish Whiskey
Brian
Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your loss. The JW line was king at one time when Norton Simon Corporation controlled it's interests. But as all things in the corporate world today new products and multiple distributers the line got passed around and neglected.
I like my coffee black , my grouper blackened and when I drink scotch I like it to have a bite . So for me it's always been JW Black and when thats gone there's always Chivas.
Oh and I also like my fish to bite!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks Brian and Boz. I think what I'm missing is the bite followed by the slow smooth burn. The Glenmorangie and Cragganmore I bought were just too tame. More to follow as I regroom my palate. This could take a while and be expensive.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:47 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Cognac for me.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:13 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

It may be bourbon, but if you want bite followed by slow burn, try out Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Most people scoff upon hearing the Wild Turkey label, but it's on my short list of liquors. I'd recommend the Jameson 18 but like many high-end Irish whiskys, the smoothness typically means less bite than you're feeling with your Green Label. The high-end Jameson is good stuff, but doesn't sound like what you're looking for. Try the Old Bird, I don't think you'll be disappointed

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-19-2012, 05:50 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I'd cast my vote for Glenlivet 12 as well. If I could afford it, I'd drink it more often. Until then my libation of choice is Tito's Handmade Texas Vodka.