The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mid-life crisis

Like it or not, most of us ( I only say most because some of us may be women, and I have never figured them out. I can't speak for them.) will have a mid-life crisis at some point. Contrary to the name it may not be near mid-life. I'm having mine right now, and I think it is right at mid-life because I'm pretty sure I'm not getting out of this mess before 114. Why should I get a break? Some of us get the hot young blonde girl friend. ( I once had a hot young redhead and I still regret marrying her every day, kind of turned me off on the blond. ) Some of us get the the little red sports car. Had one of those, and it was fun. I got new scuba gear. I think I can meld my middle age melt down into mto my previous mental abnormality in that I can now dive my favorite places to fish and maybe see why the heck they are what they are. OK, take bets on spot number one now......... Was there a bridge in your guess?

By the way, I earned the name Diver Dan. Even discounting my time on Subs, I still have more time underwater than some submariners. Down in the deep there's adventure and danger, that's where you'll find...... Can you name the song?

I have two rods to finish. My 14' T&T and my 17' 11 wt T&T. Despite the fact that God seems to have decided to take potshots at my family all summer long, not all of us made it out alive, and I half expect it to start raining frogs any minute, I am going to get it all done before Fall. I need the 17'er before the Fall Walleye run. I really want to hit near mid river when they are whacking shiners in the dark. If they do it this year. You never know.

Some of you may have wondered where I have been lately, well don't because I am not going to explain it all. I will summerize, It has not been good to be a part of my family, friends or my Lives. In some cases, it has been fatal. I have a brother that as soon as I get within reasonable range of, I plan to rearrange his mug. I have a whole new outlook on life, and I have zero room for jackassery, despite having little to begin with. I am not joking about my brother. I will forgive him just after hell freezes over.

Despite the small amount of fishing I have been able to squeeze in between crisis after crisis, I have become very comfortable spey casting with my left hand on top. I have become almost as good left hand on top as right. I'm actually kind of proud of it.

I broke two Smallmouth records this Spring. The 2 lb. tippet and the 17 lb. tippet. Got them both the same day. Thought that was cool. My buddy Bill was my net guy for the 2 lb. record. He gets a bunch of the credit for me busting it. You don't break a 2 pound tippet on your own often. It is actually a good story and I have photos. I will post them when I have time. I was wearing my Rainy River Spey Club shirt for one of them. I think.... I love the shirt.

I'm still waiting for the new home for the healing waters 8 wt. I can't believe I am having this much trouble giving away a rod. All I want is a wounded vet who wants to fish. Look up the thread and bump it for me.

My house looks like a disaster area. I have let my cleaning go South on me. I hope to get caught back up with that soon. My dog who turned two last week, has turned out to be the best little dog. She has been a bright spot in the world. She won't let me fish when she's with, but she's still worth it. I may have mentioned in more than one place, after my last dog died, Speedy, I would miss him more than some of my relatives when they go. I joked that one of them rhymed with Aunt Shirley. It was a joke. It was Aunt Shirley. I almost lost her a month ago. She fell on the walk in the back yard before sun came up and layed there for 13 hours in the sun on a 90 degree plus day because my worthless crackhead cousin who was supposed to do her hedges that day was off being his usuall worthless self. Still happier with him than my ...... brother. Insert your favorite cuss words. I may not be that happy with her but she deserves better than laying 13 hours on hot cement.

I am hoping things become a bit calmer. If not, I at least have new ways to cope. Underwater photos to follow, and a nice jailhouse letter till I post bail for beating my brother into a pink pulp. Is it a crime to give his wife a severe wedgie? Will it work with a thong and Oh my God please get that picture out of my head!

I feel better now. Thanks
mojo and jpbfly like this.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mid-life crisis

Honestly, I get ya. I'm the victim of a complete meltdown this past weekend. Friday was bad...real bad. We all carry around alot with us...sometimes we come apart at the seams. I did. Enough that I missed a family reunion with a grandmother who is above 90 and that I haven't seen in a year or so.

I'm just plain tired of carrying it around sometimes...but I got ones relying on me to get it done. What does the future hold? It looks grim, but ya never know... All the things you tell yourself just seems like **** when it's just really dark deep inside.

You're not alone...but so very alone.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Dan,I know what your talking about been there done all that stuff you mention as well.
My mates used to call me "Gunna" because I was always Gunna do something,which I eventually ended up doing.
My new motto is "What you can't do Tomorrow,you can do The Day after Tomorrow".
I was at a mates place the other day & another one of his former Workmates who has also retired mentioned words to that effect,so it goes to show I'm not alone in my thoughts.
Brian.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I had been wondering where you were but I couldn't remember if I fired you off a PM or not... Hope it all starts tightening back up soon, and glad you have a furry companion to brighten up the darker days! I know my pup always helps when times get rough. And enjoy the new scuba gear! What kind of gear did you pick up? I have a full Dive-Rite set-up from when I was doing the Dive Master thing in college...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Dan,
This whole year has been a bit of a nightmare for me also and I don't expect it to get any better before it gets worse.
So unfortunately I think I can relate, other than I haven’t allowed it to interfere with my fishing as that is the only thing that keeps me sane.
Its good to hear you are still getting out some though!

I hope things start to smooth out and you can get back to your regular old self (as grumpy as you may be)

I will hold off before posting my next little philosophical tid bit until you are done ringing necks, but believe me I think I have one you will really enjoy!

Good luck with your family as I know those tend to be some of the hardest issues we ever have to deal with.
Cheers,
Watson
Old 07-30-2012, 02:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

We all have days and several day in a row where you begin to wonder if you have a target circles painted on your forehead. But when they come along I'm reminded of the old Saying:

"God never deals you a hand of cards you can't play." The question is what game did the Dealer call?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Dan your kind of touching confession shows this forum is more than a flyfishing one...we can share many things hereI glad to know you feel better...hope you back is better too.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Egads Dan! Don't break your hand! milt.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Dan if you don't get your brother you can smash mine . I wouldn't ruin my casting hand on him. Glad your posting. Were those FWFHF records or IGFA?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Dan,
I used to be that guy checking your ID when you drove on base. People would drive in and ask me some variation on "How's it goin?" I'd tell 'em "Could be worse." Some people thought that was very negative but it ain't.
As bad as you think you have it, in can always be worse. This is the main lesson of military training. Living in a hole? The hole could be full of water. Living in a hole full of water? Could be snakes in the water. Living in a hole full of water with snakes? The water could be frozen.
My circumstances are not what I'd hoped what they'd be at this time in my life. But I know there are thousands of peolpe who'd deal with the devil to have what I have.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey