The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By txshane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default For You Coyotes Hunters Out There?

2 weeks ago at about 6:45am I slowed down my vehicle and was preparing to stop to go fishing and rolled the windows down.

I heard what had to be a dozen coyotes almost screaming. It sounded like they were only 30 yards from the road.

I questioned my place to go fishing as being potentially dangerous.

The guy I was with was flabbergasted.

We stopped the vehicle and got out.

The first door slamming silenced the yotes.

Would you have fished here?

Last edited by LenHarris; 08-02-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default Re: For You Coyotes Hunters Out There?

I wouldn't worry about them too much, unless of course they were rabid. Then again, I have spear fished knowing there were makos around so maybe my advice on the subject isn't the best.

Side note, I would delete that map link if you want to keep the spot to yourself.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I have lived on a farm on the Montana plains all my life. Great falls is just the closest city.

Anyway. I have hunted coyotes that ran into the building I was calling from and I shot them with a with a shot gun.

I may have been trying to make it sound like coyotes may attack you but what im really trying to say is the closest encounter i have ever had with a coyote was just by accident. The only reason the coyote was in the same building as me was because he thought the rabbit I was mimmicking was inside. Needless to say I am more scared of animals such as moose and deer than a coyote. The very first mule deer buck I ever shot charged me. I came up on him in a coullee and he just charged me. Scared me pretty badly but he is on my wall now...

So I guess what I'm saying is coyotes are the last thing I'm worried about but they are understandably something to have on the back of your mind when there howling.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 08-03-2012, 08:10 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

i would have fished. Coyotes will generally go away once human presense is incountered. Like Troy said, id be much more worried about moose and ellk then the yotes.

I have jumped coyotes before by myself out exploring and they always run like fire away from me. If there is small pack of them, id be alittle more weary but I usually only see individuals. I came across a very large bull elk in CO a few Septembers ago that he nor I knew of each others proximity. when he popped up out of the grass that sure scared the ever living **** out of me. I was definitly more scared then over any encounters ive had with a coyote

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-03-2012, 08:28 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I don't know about Coyotes,I've always Fished where there's Venomous Snakes,in The Northern Territory We have Fished among The Crocs.
On a few occassions whilst travelling in the in other States we have encountered Dingoes.
Brian
Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Coyotes seem to go there own way and avoid human contact. Just ask any varmint hunter who moved to fast or gave himself away. Now bears that's a different story. Hiking down to the river yesterday scat and tracks were everywhere. Walking through thick rhodendrum not being able to see what's around the next bend a little unnerving. Spent the day wading and doing alot of looking over my shoulder.
I'll take coyotes over that anyday!

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Even the big rattler shed that i came across didn't bother me as much as the thought of bumping into Yogi!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-03-2012, 05:47 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenHarris View Post
2 weeks ago at about 6:45am I slowed down my vehicle and was preparing to stop to go fishing and rolled the windows down.

I heard what had to be a dozen coyotes almost screaming. It sounded like they were only 30 yards from the road.

I questioned my place to go fishing as being potentially dangerous.

The guy I was with was flabbergasted.

We stopped the vehicle and got out.

The first door slamming silenced the yotes.

Would you have fished here?
I don't know. Tell me about the fishing hole.
theboz likes this.