The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 11:00 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough
Default saw the snake thread and thought I would post these

We killed this guy after he attacked the mower that was mowing around teh bank of a small private pond. Easily one of the largest water moccasins I have ever seen.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:03 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: saw the snake thread and thought I would post these

why would you kill it?
woodrivertroutbum and argail like this.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:36 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

What a shame, it is like me being killed for yelling at someone to get away from me on my own property.

There is a reason there are people that remove these things. So they don't have to be killed in fear.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:09 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
What a shame, it is like me being killed for yelling at someone to get away from me on my own property. ......
Not even close.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Water moccasins are extremely aggressive and this guy was around the boathouse for the pond we were fishing. He was already attacking the guy that was mowing around the pond so there isnt much else you can do. In south georgia you literally need to check the boats before you step in because they will hide under the seat cushions, live wells, etc...

Diamondbacks and gators are nothing next to this guy...
Old 08-08-2012, 10:47 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

I still do not agree with this at all, I just hate the way people think that you can kill reptiles and amphibians without good reason, without repercussions
There is no reason you could not have called someone to remove the snake, those services are free after all.

Also, cottonmouths act the way they do so that they do not get killed, hissing, puffing up, that large white mouth, are all things they do so that they do not have to use their venom, these are not blood thirsty killer reptiles out to drink your blood and steal your childs soul
Old 08-08-2012, 01:20 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Free? Where? Snake removal can be anywhere from 100 to 300 dollars in most places I know of that even have those services. While I'm not for killing anything without good reason, food or immediate danger, if removal isn't an option it would be foolish to try and do it yourself.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:54 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

100 to 300 is on the money for removal and many of these guys kill the snakes anyway. I didn't know there were water moccasins in Colorado . Had to correct my son the other day who was swimming and took a pic of a large water snake. He thought it was a WM till I told him they don't exist in Pa. So many people are misinformed when it comes to snakes .
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I didn't know there were water moccasins in Colorado
There arnt any that I know of. But this was when I was back home in Georgia in march.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Also in most cases I woud never kill a snake. In general rattlesnakes will never bother you regardless of what you are doing. WMs on the other hand are just aggressive and once they attack there isnt much you can do. The place we were fishing hosts weddings and other events at a lodge near the water. So the owner tries to have all the gators removed when they find them which drives up the WM population.

If he would just keep a couple of gators around the snakes wouldnt be an issue.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

this snake attacked (missed) dog my mother in law Canebrake Rattlesnake three feet in length

showed my wife, make a few photos caught and took away from the house, released in the forest! please respect the creatures