The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why Why Why some anglers....

I think Ard offers you the best advice here and I don't think it's a good idea to react with rage or violence. I hope the suggestions of doing so were in jest. Fly Fishers give the sport a bad name when they do and we can perceived as eliteists. There is a practice called low holing on rivers that is not a nice thing to do and there are threads on other forums that go on and on about it. On a still water I suppose you could expect other anglers to be out of your casting range or maybe even two casts. This could easily be suggested in a friendly conversation. I'm wondering...what did you do?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
If you knew me, then you’d have heard me say “ People beget People, Cars beget Cars.”

Have you ever parked your rig in the outdoors within sight of a roadway, somewhere that no one ever really parks. Suddenly it’s as if the whole worlds decided to see what’s going on there?

Most humans are of the herding variety and many of the anglers I’ve met are no different. They follow the lead of doers. Parking where they see other cars and if they see someone fishing, they’ll try to herd up. Figuring that the first one there, "must be in the know", even if they aren't "in the fish".

TT
trout trekker hits on my earlier post with what he said. I come from Pennsylvania as many here have gathered over the years that I've posted here. it wasn't really crowded where I fished but letting people know you were there could draw company. I had a habit of stashing my cars - trucks & motorcycles so that they wouldn't point the way to a good stopping spot. Sometimes this meant I would have to walk a significant distance to get where I wanted to be. Once I was close I would wait for no traffic on the road and then make a dash for it. Nothing spells out 'There are fish here' like a guy in waders carrying a bamboo fly rod so I kept my presence on the down low. I found that wearing my same camo that I used for turkey hunting helped with the stealth for both fish and passers by also.

When I was younger I would get upset with folks who showed up where I was at but as I aged with this fishing thing I learned a lot. Keeping out of sight was one of those things, that and learning that some places it is simply inconceivable that you will be the only person there. If solitude is your desire then you have to find your own little niche and then keep quiet about it. I fish here and everywhere I've ever lived in the middle of population centers and near busy roadways for trout at times, I do the same things I describe in this post; stash the truck away from the stream and be as inconspicuous as possible. I'm almost always alone, maybe 99.9% of the time.

Don't lose your chew over other people, face the fact that you have a problem and then solve the problem. Sometimes you gotta leave, sometimes the other (interloper) will leave but don't flip out on anyone.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,
Have we both forgotten already our "best" friend on the Kenaii from Anchorage?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-08-2012, 05:01 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I often road fish a popular steelhead stream. A car in a pullout above a run is a sign to drive on to the next open run. I have sometimes pulled over to look and found no one there. So on the other hand, a parked car could be a decoy.

This summer I floated a large blue ribbon Montana trout stream with a long time good buddy, fishing partner (and senior forum member) on the 4th of July. There we tons of other boaters, fishers and partiers alike. People cut in where ever there was room to fish and partiers tried to stay out of the way. I never heard a harsh word and everyone seemed to be having a blast. I know we did and caught fish too. One must adjust their expectations to the situation and go with the flow.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
I think Ard offers you the best advice here and I don't think it's a good idea to react with rage or violence. I hope the suggestions of doing so were in jest. Fly Fishers give the sport a bad name when they do and we can perceived as eliteists. There is a practice called low holing on rivers that is not a nice thing to do and there are threads on other forums that go on and on about it. On a still water I suppose you could expect other anglers to be out of your casting range or maybe even two casts. This could easily be suggested in a friendly conversation. I'm wondering...what did you do?
Yeah, this whole discussion is very like the whackem/stackem boards where the gear guys talk about bouncing a 1 oz spoon off the head of fly guys in float tubes because they are within a half mile of shore.

I prefer to believe that none of us would really do such a thing.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I know what it's like,years ago it used to happen quite regularly,mostly when I caught a Trout on our Local Lake (40 Miles away) I would quickly have a couple of visitors Fishing close by after they heard my Reel Screaming,one of my Fishing Mates was probably the worst at it.
I think they must have been lonely as stated before there was plenty of area to Fish it wasn't like we were Fishing in a Bath Tub,I Fixed the Problem by quitening The Reel.

Many years ago another Old Fishing Mate who lived about 100 Miles away who had a Boatshed & Fished mainly a Tidal River in his Boat sometimes also with a Fishing Mate,sometimes me as well.
He would take a Wine Bottle Full of Fresh Water,as well as a couple of Beers.
If they were being surrounded by Boats,he knew The River well & always caught Fish,then they would both then take a few sips,then after a few minutes they would start Swearing & pretending to be affected by Acohol,The Boats would then moove & give them Space.
Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 10-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 PM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

I had that experience. My buddy and I went early in the morning to take our spot. Amost empty stretch and i see other fishermen are away from each other. Then all of a sudden this two st@pid couple decided to fish few feet of us and kept on tangling our lines!! My buddy had enough and scolded them and they just stared at us like we have horns but kept on contuining to fish. We wanted to pound then with our buckets but we just left.