The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM

fishtheworld is on a distinguished road
Default Why Why Why some anglers....

I wasn't quite sure where to post this but I need to have a moan.

I was fishing on a beach in Washington State yesterday and the beach was EMPTY . Yet 2 anglers still decided to come and fish right on top of me on the beach. WHY THE F*** couldn't they fish elsewhere on the EMPTY beach?!?!?!? They were like flies round ****. I just don't understand it. I would never fish next to any angler that 1. I didn't know 2. When theres loads of space well away from them and 3. because its just rude and extremely annoying!

Has anyone else had experiences like this?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why Why Why some anglers....

Most everyone has had that happen to them in some form or another. It's annoying.

You could shoot them, but the penalties are pretty stern.

Better to move down the beach and not let them ruin your day.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That's the $64.00 question right there!
Gave a couple fellas a piece of my mind last year when Steelheading in Idaho. I was swinging my way down a beautiful run with the two-hander when they came scootin' in about 75' below me, got out of their drift boat and started throwing metal above and below them. Now days probably not the wisest thing to do is being confrontational, but it really yanked my chain and they got an earful. They hopped back in the boat and left.

Worked out pretty well, they moved right past the next 3 runs and left em for us.
imxer and fredaevans like this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 10-07-2012, 05:42 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Yes, and the longer you fish, the more you're likely to see that type of thing. IMO, too many in our society today feel everything they do is only about them.

I've had others walk right out into a stream in front of where I was wading, and into an area in which I was casting & almost wade into my fly line.

It seems that the more folks who use our natural resources, the more there are who lack any type of sense of etiquette or manners.

On another site I frequent, where a majority of the members are saltwater surf anglers,(fly & other tackle) there is a similar discussion going on, where some folks seem to believe they have a right to a specific spot, even when it's already occupied by another angler. Even to the point of resulting in physical altercations.

Similar discussions come up on a bass fishing site I frequent too, where boaters move in on other boaters while they're fishing, or boaters move in on shore anglers, sometimes even close enough to tangle their lines or motor prop in the lines of the shore anglers.

It's a universal problem apparently.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Next time I'm going to remain silent, switch over to the biggest fly I have and see if I can "accidentally" catch me a pair of waders.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Yeah , I know exactly what you mean. I was fishing, beautiful quiet morning, river like stream about 12 feet wide, Kyak comes around the corner heading upstream, I'm thinking the water is about 2 an half feet behind me and turns into shallow stream. He's not, sure is. Paddles right through pool, passes me and then returns about 4 minutes later cause he ran out of water. All smiles and granola. Ruined the pool I had walked 20 minutes of trail to get to. How did "sense" ever get deemed common?

I just laughed it off with my hands in the air.
Now the "snagger/poacher", he got a piece of my mind.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:38 PM

fishtheworld is on a distinguished road

Some very interesting stories. Its amazing how ignorant people can be. Its good to know im not alone. Im sure it will happen again and again and again. Its a reason I like to walk and drive for hours so I can hopefully get to places no one else will be.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Boy, I hear you. When shad season comes to NorCal, there is basically only one place I will fish. I'd rather not fish than participate in an excercise that is dangerous for my BP level. I'm betting it's the yahoos who don't return their shopping cart to the cart corral, oftentimes blocking a parking space for someone else. Same yahoos who go to the gym and park in the closest parking spaces, the ones that say "15-Minute Parking Only." Hellooooo, you're there for exercise; it won't hurt you to walk another 15 yards.
Sorry. But I feel better now.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:51 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

The world is full of dumb s**ts.
fysh likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 10-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

My old fish'en buddy and I had a theory about this, we deduced that people thought that the guys with the fly rods must know what they're doing. Thus they (the people) want to get as close to the action as possible.

These things happen even way out on a river in Alaska. There is little to nothing you can do about it unless the other people seem open to discourse. In that case you can enlighten them as to where they had encroached on you.

Ard
fysh and jpbfly like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;