The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 08:04 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Rifle scope sugestions in $200 range

Hey hunters and shooters,

Big game season is nearly here. Last week my father gave me an old Remington 700 pump-action .30-06. It's a late 60's early 70's era gun that had belonged to his uncle. My dad never used it.

Anyway, I had an old cheaper Bushnell laying around after I replaced it last year with a Leupold I got on sale. So I put the Bushnell on it and went to the range to see if the old Remington is a straight shooter worthy of taking into the field. It is. Pretty sweet gun, light for an aught-6, and pump action is nice.

So, now I'd like to top it with a nice scope, though it's not necessary. I realize that Leupold I bought last year must have been a close out because it was around $250 and I can't find any Leupold for that now. Does anyone have an old favorite, reliable "workin man's" scope they like a lot? I was perusing some of the Vortex, the inexpensive Weaver (seems too cheap), Nikon Buckmaster...to name a few.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rifle scope sugestions in $200 range

If that Bushnell is shooting straight I would leave it on the rifle. That's a cool gun you have there and I would maintain its workman, bringing home the meat looks rather than have the setup say it's an old gun but it has a neat scope.

Dave
Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rifle scope sugestions in $200 range

I know exactly what you're saying Dave, thanks for the advice. A $200 matte black scope isn't gonna change the gun...and the only way to keep it truly old school would be to just stick with the iron sights the gun came with. But if I'm lucky enough to get a glimpse of an elk within 250 yds, fact is I'm gonna need a clear scope to have any chance.