The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't 'pee' in the stream. Most interesting read.

The Scorpion and the Frog: The Smell of Fear
FISHN50 likes this.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't 'pee' in the stream. Most interesting read.

Fred: Interesting read, that part where some cigarette makers are putting urea in cigarettes just makes me want to run out and buy a pack.

Larry
Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you Larry, I hear you. But I make my own with a cig-machine. Even doing one at a time you'll turn out the equivilent of a pack in about 15 minutes with practice. Far better than a pack of 'store packs' which will easily run you $5.00/per.

With the cig-machine 200 pre done filter tubes will cost $4.00, and enough really good tabacco (no fillers, just chopped up leaf) will run you $23.00/pound. Or to put that another way, a carton (10 packs) will cost you fifty, or more, bucks. DIY for the same amount ...... about seven or eight.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, Fred.
On a related note, I had a client this year tell me he had to take a leak as we were floating down a river. I aimed for a spot to pull over and got close, only to be told he had already gone. I asked him if he needed something to wash off the raft. He responded no, that he had gone inside the raft, and his rationale was it is a self-bailing raft and it will all flush out.
After reading the article you reference, I realize we smelled like a floating pile of scared bait to any would-be predators.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Peed in the boat??? People are amazingly stupid!!! Give you all the credit in the world if you kept your composure after that!! Unreal!!
fredaevans likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-26-2012, 11:55 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

so...if I fish upstream, keeping my buddies downstream of me and...

well, this has possibilities.

no...I don't...not within 100ft of a stream, nor over the side of the boat when drifting.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Don't 'pee' in the stream. Most interesting read.

....... This is a true story.......

It's a beautiful early summer day. The sun is high, the sky is blue, the tide is moving just enough to bring in the striped fish.
You've slowly worked your way out. Not a lot of fish caught, but enough to make it fun. Time seems to have stood still.
It's the perfect day on the flats.

Slowly your attention is drawn away from scanning the area. You involuntarily start to bounce on one foot. There's some pressure building in your lower abdomen.

You've got to pee.

You look toward shore, it's got to be 3/4 of a mile away.
You start to think. The waders will need to be dropped... first the vest will need to come off.... don't forget the stripping basket....oh yeah, the wader belt too! You'll need to put your rod down somewhere....
There's certainly no trees around to hang your vest on or prop up your rod.
You look toward shore again. Has it gotten further away?
In all the fishing how-to books you've ever read, this has never come up.

You need a plan.
First you'll need to remove your vest and wading belt and place them in your stripping basket, then turn the basket to the rear.
Then drop the basket to your knees,... reach around and balance your rod on top...almost there..
But Wait
A quick glance around to see if there's an audience.... you're really dancin' now .. you quickly unbuckle the wader straps.....

When fish are on the flats, they follow their nose. They're searching for a scent that will lead them to lunch.
Anything out of the ordinary must be investigated.

I'm speaking from experience here.

You need to get those waders back up, stripping basket turned around, and your wader belt and vest back on as quickly as possible.
Put your back to the current, keep low and get ready to cast !
Do it fast, there's not much time.

Not only do do feel better, but you've discovered a new way to chum fish on the flats.
chi flyfisher and theboz like this.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Peed in the boat??? People are amazingly stupid!!! Give you all the credit in the world if you kept your composure after that!! Unreal!!
Yep. And there was another incident with a client and his "homemade catheter" system that failed in one of my tents.
Another couple of trips and I'll be writing a book and these incidents will be in the chapter titled "You Can't Make This Stuff Up."
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Yep. And there was another incident with a client and his "homemade catheter" system that failed in one of my tents.
Another couple of trips and I'll be writing a book and these incidents will be in the chapter titled "You Can't Make This Stuff Up."
Oh my! I've been hooked , rod slapped , pushed and cursed but you are a saint to deal with that! Im pretty sure that would push me over the top! Home made catheter system ! Are these people to lazy to get up and find a tree!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-26-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Oh my! I've been hooked , rod slapped , pushed and cursed but you are a saint to deal with that! Im pretty sure that would push me over the top! Home made catheter system ! Are these people to lazy to get up and find a tree!
He didn't want to have to get out of the tent at night because there might be bears out there.