The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   Catch and Release? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/3024-catch-release.html)

larrysmith9865 01-09-2008 01:08 PM

Catch and Release?

Just curious of how Many FlyFisherman Keep Or release,

Do you Release?

Do you keep? (all within legal limits of course)

Or do you keep some release others?

Also I guess If you catch the trophy What do you do then?

Myself I release all fish I catch, We eat fish maybe 2 times a month and I do buy it from grocery, I do photo every fish I catch so when the trophy comes around I hope I can Keep that mindset and let it back in the water and not on my wall.

zerolimit 01-09-2008 02:40 PM

Re: Catch and Release?

I kept fish as a bait fisherman but have not in the past year and a half since converting to the fly. My fly fishing skills have not yet produced a trophy (though I guess it's all relative. The largest trout I've landed is about 18"). In that event, I hope and plan that I will keep my senses and return it unharmed.

Here's one on the topic. I've often heard it to be good practice to keep fish if they are bleeding badly or don't revive after the catch. Makes sense and I never thought too much about it until recently. I would be interested in everyone's opinion on whether or not there is value in releasing the fish anyway as to not remove it from the fishery's food chain. In other words, that fish is potential food for birds, scavengers, and if not it will decay in to the stream bed and feed bugs and other organisms.

larrysmith9865 01-09-2008 03:26 PM

Good question, On the rare occasion one swallows the hook and it happens that you cannot get it out without causing harm to the fish then if it is worth taking home to eat or give to someone that would enjoy it I would keep it. But I must say If it is a small fish not worth eating alone then Why not leave it for the birds or racoons. I do not see the harm in that

fyshstykr 01-09-2008 09:14 PM

Honestly I don't care to eat Trout, just don't have a taste for them, the only Trout that I somewhat care for are smoked and caught thrue the ice. Now Perch, that's a different story.

My Dad in-law loves Trout & eggs with a pot of black coffee for breakfast, and we will occasionally keep a rainbow or two for him.

I don't have a problem with people catching them to eat as long as they don't harvest too many and they don't go to waste.

I just can't eat my friends!!! :frogdance

trout champ 01-09-2008 10:25 PM

If I'm fly fishing I always C&R, but if I'm using a worm and bobber I'll keep 'em. If the fish swallows the hook and I cannot get it out I cut the line as close as possible and let the fish go. I heard that is the best for the fish.

Randy

MTskibum 01-17-2008 06:01 PM

I usuallycatch and release, as i am actually alergic to all seafood. However i have kept trout on 1 occasion this last year. And i dont feel bad doing it, i kept some stocked bows out of daley resevoir because we caught enough over 16" to filet them out and smoke them. I didnt eat them, however i did cook them.

fyshstykr 01-17-2008 06:07 PM

So your allergic to Seafood, Trout is technically not Seafood, well I guess some could be, but not in general.:wink:
So what your saying is your allergic to fish? that sucks!!! :(

BigCliff 01-17-2008 09:03 PM

A buddy of mine is allergic to finned fish but not shellfish. Sucks for him because he likes to catch the finned ones.

I rarely keep fish, but will every now and then if they can be eaten before they're frozen. If they're going to be frozen, I'll let the grocery store provide ready to eat filets.

FlyChick 01-17-2008 11:45 PM

Only catch and release for me. Sometimes I even feel bad when I catch a fish. I'm more than happy to make good casts and watch the fish circle below without biting. :)

jimw 01-18-2008 11:22 AM

I am lucky enough to live very close to some very good salt water fishing so i can fish every night if i want. I only keep fish if we are going to eat them that day the rest are released. I would have 3 IGFA Tippet class flyfishing records but i chose to release the fish instead of killing them. I get alot of satisfaction watching them swim off.