The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   Well, it's almost that time of the year again. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/302467-well-its-almost-time-year-again.html)

fredaevans 11-16-2012 06:59 AM

Well, it's almost that time of the year again.

I can only imagine what it takes to put something like this together:

Best Christmas Lights Display (HD)

mcnerney 11-16-2012 08:45 AM

Re: Well, it's almost that time of the year again.

Qoute: "with 176 channels and 45,000 lights! The show is so popular that it requires a crew of 3 people to manage the traffic".

Pretty interesting to watch, but I'm sure glad I don't live next door to that guy!

Larry

fredaevans 11-16-2012 09:21 AM

Roger That!:eek:

wt bash 11-16-2012 10:29 AM

Where I grew up in NJ there were quite a few houses that put on elaborate displays where the Middletown PD would have to step in to do crowd control. One house was petitioned to stop due to all the people parking on the neighbors property. Out here folks drive 3hrs to WV to see some huge pay to play light display. Kinda crazy if you ask me.

plecain 11-16-2012 11:21 AM

Four years ago we had an ice storm which killed power for 10 days, beginning in early December.
We have a generator that runs all the essentials, so were OK.
But, one house in town also had a generator that was big enough to run the essentials, plus his HUGE Christmas light display.
So, here he was, on a dark street, with thousands of lights blazing.
The newspapers and local TV (if you had power to see it) were full of people griping about how 'selfish' this guy was:
"He should run cords to his neighbors."
"He should turn off the lights to save 'precious' gasoline."
You get the idea.
I liked it.

Rip Tide 11-16-2012 05:26 PM

We had a guy in town that they called "Mister Christmas".. Mervin Whipple
He had a display of lights and animated figures worth over $700,000 that cost him $19,000 a year to run.
People would come in buses, and he'd be out there to shake hands with every one of them. Over 1.5 million people in 35 years.
And he lived out in the sticks too. In a section of town called Ballouville. No joke.
It was really something

Gone But Not Forgotten

fredaevans 11-16-2012 09:11 PM

Out standing post Mr. RT, out standing. Every Man, probably every person who can, wants to leave a 'Mark' on this Earth that he/she/they may be remembered by.

And that runs the gamet of life experiences of 'what did you contribute?' Him, my guess is far beyond the light show, but does anyone know?

Random thoughts of a 70 year old. Me? Not mortgage banking, but the kitchen where I vollied for a very long time. Walk in the door at 0530 - 0545 and "PEOPLE ARE YOU HAVING A VERY GOOD DAY!! I'M ABOUT TO FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS."

Then I'd roll out the fresh bread roll racks and see 700 to 1,000 I needed to bag and tag for that mornings fresh food deliveries. Had a few times where a 'co-worker' would come over and 'You need a break, or you need a hand.'

I was exahusted and they knew it, but I kept on bagging rolls. Light day, then to tomorrows Veggies as an 'Asst. Cook.'

Early on, and these facilties like all other food prep places, get un-annonced health department checks (was damned few we got a 99 out of 100) and 'Lady' walks up and demands to see my 'food servers' licence.

"I'm a vollie, and I don't need one but I've read every page, ask me a question." Steps back and 'I'll have to write this one up.' How I was there? In Oregan, asleed at the wheel is a duii (7 hours on a Soccer field at 68), 4'ish minutes from home (10 to home) and I'm toast. Fell a sleep at the Officers desk.

'You do and I'll take that clip board out of your hand and whack you up the side of the head. These people do good work, and they watch what ever I do.'

'You do that and I'll have to call the Police!!'

Pulled out my cell phone and dialed "911" and handed it to her and said "Push send. But why don't you put the clip board aside and help, we have 1,000 meals for tomorrow."

Hell of it was, she did!! :wow: We talked, we laughed as 'we' did what ever we did for the next two-three days. I'm just a Vollie, but she 'worked' for me and I'm sure she was looking at everything that went on over that 5-6 hours.

Made some suggestions to People who count on 'nnnnoooo, you need to do it this/that way(s).' And those where 'who knew.'

End game was a string of 100%'s.

Liphookedau 11-16-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 498964)
I can only imagine what it takes to put something like this together:

Best Christmas Lights Display (HD)

Fred,it's also a big thing over here,some Bus Companies run Tours & give The Proceeds to Charities,Christmas Appeals where they take people to different Towns to check out The Light Displays.
Some go to so much trouble,spend heaps of money,time & end up lighting up The whole neighbourhood.
Brian