The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Address needed

I believe I read on here about Joni making furled leaders. If so, will someone give me the address. I need one for Hybrid Bass fishing. Thanks!Mike...aka Okuma
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Address needed

Hi Mike.
The easiest way to contact anyone is to send them a PM ,I'm sure Joni will apply very promply.
Brian.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future

This link should get you there.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

In case anyone missed it, I can't say enough good things about Joni's leaders. I like them a lot. Three thumbs up.
fredaevans and williamhj like this.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

That's the proper link; I also am a total fan of Joni's leaders. The sinking one sink like a rock with even just lightly weighted flies. Do order them with the tippet ring.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Never tried any with tippet rings...but...I'm game
Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The rings are tiny (2-3mm) and really make swapping out tippet an easy task. If you want to do a two fly dropper rig the ring really simplifies the process.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM

Thumbs up Re: Address needed

Just got a 7 footer from Joni, can't wait to load that on my 'retro-new' Sage 7136-4.

7' for 7/8 weight Kevlar/3mm (tiny thing) for winter fishing.

This Ladies work is 'the best of the best.'

PERIOD.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Fred, what do you think the physics of why these turn over so well is? It almost seems counterintuitive. You would think a stiff mono would do it better but they don't. You would think a leader that is limper like these would not transfer the energy as well and they would sort of die at the end but they are the ones that bang out to the end. I find the physics of these a really interesting thing. Have you ever heard of any study being done on why this is so?

By the way, I got one of Joni's 7' furled leaders several years ago in a fly swap we were both involved in. I looked at it and said "Cool, I'll have to try this one of these days." And then didn't touch it for several years. I almost forgot I had it. Then I think it was you got talking about using them with a two hander and I bought some from Joni. It was after that I started using the 7'er on my single hand rod. If I had tried it right away..... oh well. Hind sight is 20/20.

When I talked to Joni last spring about getting a couple more I told her I broke several records in the last year while using her leaders. It was four. One of them, the 2lb tippet Smallmouth record was actually easier because of the furled leader. There was only one piece of mono, the 2 pound tippet and two knots. I used a trilene knot at both ends because it's pretty close to a 100% knot. That's the fish I ended up in the calendar again with. Still hoping to get that centerfold gig with Field and Stream.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Joni recently sent me one of her leaders to try out.. I'm still waiting to try it out unfortunately... But overall looks like a solid furled leader.. I've been using furled ever since I first heard of them myself.. love'em.. downfall to the mono/flouro ones is when they get caught in a tree.. the coiling sucks and can sometimes be a pita to undo.. otherwise I love how they turn over flies.. only time I don't use them is for bigger flies.. when straight mono does the trick... I really hope Joni's leaders are what I'm looking for as the current brand that I'm a die hard for costs twice as much as Joni's