The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Whatcha readin'?

This is a good thread John, the fly fishing fraternity is indeed a literate bunch Nancy is working through James Michener's 'Alaska' at this time, I read 'Mexico' and enjoyed his work very much and will read allaska when she finishes.
Rip Tide likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-21-2012, 05:12 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Whatcha readin'?L

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
my winter reading...
Click the image to open in full size.
Currently workin on the last one of the lot, Creative Salmon Fly Art vol 1
Next will be the three oldies in the middle
Francis Francis - A Book on Angling
Sir Herbert Maxwell - Salmon and Sea Trout
JJ Hardy - Salmon Fishing
Then the dry fly books, which got on loan, but will likely end up buying my own copies.
Saw your book about Catskill flies. I have 3 dries tied by Elsie Darby when a buddy of mine and I stopped by their house in 1947. Asked Harry to tie a few
for us and he relied "I'll have my wife do them, she is faster, and better than I
am. Great people and very friendly.
Read a book about the Beaverkill a few years ago that brought back a lot of pleasant memories.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
FYSH,

"Big Stoney", Howard t Walden
If you have ever read this you might agree that there are several members of
this Forum who would fit right in with this group of guys & their Trout water.
Paul, You have piqued my interest, I'll investigate this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
my winter reading...
Currently workin on the last one of the lot, Creative Salmon Fly Art vol 1
Next will be the three oldies in the middle
Francis Francis - A Book on Angling
Sir Herbert Maxwell - Salmon and Sea Trout
JJ Hardy - Salmon Fishing
Then the dry fly books, which got on loan, but will likely end up buying my own copies.

Eunan, I noticed your 'Classic Salmon Flies' by Mikael Frodin.....I recently found a new one on ebay for $18.00 with shipping included and jumped on it. Talk about some beautiful flies and recipes.

Tell me about the 'Carrie Stevens' book.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Eunan, I noticed your 'Classic Salmon Flies' by Mikael Frodin.....I recently found a new one on ebay for $18.00 with shipping included and jumped on it. Talk about some beautiful flies and recipes.

Tell me about the 'Carrie Stevens' book.
You got a good deal, i bought mine for $30 on a different forum. Great book.
The Radencich book is the ULTIMATE salmon fly book. 1700 patterns. Worth the $50-60 price tag.

The Stevens book is the definitive one on her life, style and patterns. I believe all known Stevens streamers are in there.

One other salmon fly book, more artistic (pictorially) than instructional is the Judith Dunham book. And the Paul Rossman books (the last two in the photo) are great for the very artistic in terms of the flies within.
I just got the Rossman books at the weekend from Paul himself.
fysh likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Carrie Stevens: Maker of Rangeley Favorite Trout and Salmon Flies
Late in an Angler's Life: Essays on the Sport - Gordon Wickstrom
Salmon Flies - P Jorgensen
Tying the Classic Salmon Fly: A Modern Approach to Traditional Techniques - M Radencich
The Complete Illustrated Directory of Salmon & Steelhead Flies - Chris Mann

Oh yeah, I'm dipping into Trout by R Bergman.

Looking forward to picking up some more John G too. He kills me!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info Eunan, I'll be looking into the Stevens book for sure.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thunderheart - lincoln/child

ARFE
Old 11-22-2012, 06:32 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Just finished Tom Rosenbauer's "Small Stream Fly Fishing". An excellent read. I am now reading Paul Schullery's "Mountain Time: A Memoir of Yellowstone". In part it is an appreciation of the lanscape and part an analysis of the ethical and practical issues of managing wildlife, including Trout, and visitors to the park. Two chapters on Trout management provide a great backdrop to recent forum discussion on Yellowstone policy. Paul was a Yellowstone Ranger, Curator of the Fly Fishing Museum in Vermont and is currently a scholar in residence at Montana State. He has written a number of books including a "History of American Fly Fishing". An excellent writer well worth the read. Do an Amazon.com search for Paul and see his numerous books.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

I ordered a copy of Trout and Salmon of North America by Robert J. Behnke

A copy of Catching Big Fish on Light Fly Tackle by Tom Wendelburg

And a copy of Trout Bum by John Gierach
Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

If there's any history/Civil War fans out there I just finished 1858. I think it's very good.

For fly fishing history I'll recommend The Beaverkill by Ed van Put.

Randy