The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whatcha readin'?

This is the best picture I could find on-line.
It's a 2 volume set by George La Branche. The Dry Fly and Fast Water and The Salmon and the Dry Fly

Click the image to open in full size.

Plus this book of essays on northern NewEngland logging life.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:28 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I'm reading book after book by Wilbur Smith. He's one of those authors who makes me glad he's so prolific.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:23 AM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light

Taylor Streit..."Man vs. Fish" and "Instinctive Fly Fishing". Both entertaining and instructive...

Bob
Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I started reading Geirach again but after a while its like I have it memorized and waiting on Mike Heck's Spring Creek Strategies cause sometimes you gotta sharpen the pencil.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:59 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
If there's any history/Civil War fans out there I just finished 1858. I think it's very good.

For fly fishing history I'll recommend The Beaverkill by Ed van Put.

Randy
Hi Randy

van Put's book is the one I was thinking about in a previous post, good read and reminiscent of earlier days.

Re: Civil War. If you haven't already read it, look for a bio of General N B Forrest. Guy was amazing.

thanks, imxer

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

[QUOTE=fyshstykr;500433]Paul, You have piqued my interest, I'll investigate this one.

John,

Re: "Big Stony"
Let me know what you think about the book. As you read it try to remember the time frame in which it is all taking place.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 11-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Since the topic Civil War has came up, I read 2 books that were published as companions / a set. The author; Bruce Catton, Titles, 'The Army Of The Potomac' & 'A Stillness At Appomattox' These books were compiled in much the same fashion as the films done by Ken Burns, but Catton's works proceeded the films. These books delivered a shocking look at the war between the states from the prospective of the soldiers and officers who were there.

Another splendid book of American history (especially if you live in Pennsylvania or Ohio) is 'The History of an Expedition against Fort DuQuesne in 1755' This book is the collected information from such notables as George Washington and the journals of many of the survivors of this epic event in early American History. The battle marked the end of the famed General Braddock's career and a rather unknown part of then British Col. George Washington's service in America.

I can't say enough positive things about those books! I was born in Pennsylvania and lived all my days there as an outdoors-man, Which compelled me to investigate the history of my home area. What I found was astounding. If you live in PA. - OH.- NY. or VA. you can find some amazing and historically 'accurate' books here> Wennawoods Publishing Book Store

I own many of the titles you will find here and they are all like a magnet that draw you into a vortex of the long forgotten events that shaped this country.

Ard
imxer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Ard

Wife and I both consider Gettysburg one of the highlights of our travels.
Really an unforgettable experience.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since we are discussing books, reading "Killer Angles" before going to the
battlefield will increase your appreciation and understanding of what took place there.

Paul
Hardyreels and Sep like this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 11-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Paul,

I've been there many times, it is however sometimes strange how things are discovered. Although I had been to the Battlefield several times by 1980, it was after reading of George Custer's defeat at Little Big Horn after attending a lecture at the Custer Battlefield Memorial in 1981 that I realized that this man had a history that went much farther than his famed defeat. I returned to Gettysburg and traced Custer's Calvary battles there. Then, while living in Virginia and visiting the Shenandoah River Valley I learned of his 'inglorious' legacy when he served under General Sheridan in the Shenandoah Campaign.

The Civil volume's I cited follow the situation from arguments and assaults on the 'floor of the United States House of Representatives' to the shots at Fort Sumter, and then on to Antietam - Cold Harbor - Gettysburg etc. The Stillness at Appomattox picks up where the Army of The Potomac ends and follows the conflict to Antietam Courthouse and the aftermath.

A second note about the books about the history of Pennsylvania and what we now know as The Mid Atlantic area; every book I purchased from the publishing house which was located 21 miles from my home town, is extraordinary. Only those who will seek out the history of this area will understand that the Indian Wars of Pennsylvania were far more crucial to both the young country and its Native inhabitants than the battles of the western plains.

If you fly fish Pennsylvania - OH. NY. and so forth the names of towns and rivers / creeks will take on new meaning to you. You will quickly realize that you are walking the same ground as did the Delaware, Seneca, Mohawk, et al. No state in the Union has more locations bearing the original Indian Name for that place or region than Pennsylvania, that's a fact that I didn't realize until I began reading the history.

It is sometimes brutal, sometimes a wonderment of mankind the things that built this land we call America. Most all of these books cover the period from first settlements through the Revolutionary War. I found the early history of the French and Indian alliance and the war with England that ensued to be the most captivating of all.

The link to the book store is on the thread a posted above this one You folks should take a look........................
imxer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-22-2012, 06:50 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

A little off subject from reading material but one of the things I found pretty cool about my trips to Cumberland Valley was the Civil War History that took place there. The ransoming and burning of Chambersburg, the feeling you get when you walk through some of the historical sites there. Driving from town to town imaging what small skirmishes might have taken place. Its a really interesting part of the country.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I like the conversational tangents that have come along with this thread, very interesting to hear.
imxer and Hardyreels like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*